Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September 2020 Challenge: Moros (West)

Default September 2020 Challenge: Moros (West)

Hey all,

I am somewhat new to the forums (as a user; I've lurked for ages ), and I figured I would dive in head-first and try my hand at some of these community engagement things. Mapping in perspective is also something I have never tried to do, so I am excited to see what kind of results I can manage (in fact, I have never even really drawn in perspective, as that is not my strongest suit).

Regarding the map, this is an island nation that belongs in a set of fiction books I am working on. Note also that this first WIP is not yet a perspective map. This will be inlaid into the perspective version, and will show the whole island nation, whereas the perspective will only show one corner. I hope you guys like the start I've made, and I really hope I can make the whole perspective thing happen.

Moros (West)
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moros.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	6.29 MB 
ID:	124936
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	45 
Size:	661.0 KB 
ID:	124935  
    Last edited by Kilo11; 09-13-2020 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Attached wrong image, like a fool... :facepalm:

My (ongoing) Novel set in Arabia in Antiquity

(Link directs to a different forum site, but one with identical formatting to this one)

Hiya Cartographers!

Worked on the map over the weekend, and now have a newer version to present. As before, this is not yet the perspective version, and is instead just the inset that I will put on the perspective map. I needed to get this done first though so I'd be sure about the islands' features and layout. Comments or thoughts are much appreciated, and hopefully I will have a proper perspective view ready sometime soon.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	79 
Size:	5.85 MB 
ID:	124970

(Link directs to a different forum site, but one with identical formatting to this one)

Guild Journeyer

I find it very nice : soft tones, the mountains are very impressive, massives. Well done!

Thanks Bindusara. I can't take too much credit for the mountains though, as those were made using the mountains brush provided in Wonderdraft. Basically, I drew the core landmass myself, then inked it, then figured out the logical geography, traced that out in Wonderdraft, and then in GIMP I used the perspective tool to lay out the map you see above so I could work on a perspective version. Yesterday I did the first penciled version of the perspective map, and will try to ink it today. Then I will add color, labels, and other touches in GIMP, finally adding a title banner and an inset of the map above.

The current WIP is only pencil, so harder to make out, but here it is!
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Scan_Moros (perspective).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	124984

Looks good so far! Can't wait to see the finished version.

Good luck with the competition.

Visit my business site: The Elderly Cartographer
    For commissions: Fiverr
    Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and DeviantArt

Thanks! I am enjoying it so far, and am actually quite happy with what is my first attempt at perspective cartography, and perspective art in general. For a latest update, here is the penciled version inked.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	scan_perspective_inked.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	425.4 KB 
ID:	125002

I am going to start playing with colors and textures today, and hopefully by Sunday evening I will have a much more finished version to present.

Alright cartographers, over the weekend I managed to do some extensive work on the map. I still need to add a title banner for sure, but other than that, I am up for suggestions about what you all think could be improved, added, or changed. Anyway, I hope y'all like the latest version, and do tell if you've any thoughts.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Moros (perspective).png 
Views:	31 
Size:	9.43 MB 
ID:	125057

It is shaping up beautifully. I love the fog!

As for suggestions... The only thing I see, is that the land looks ever-so slightly bare. Nothing that some trade routes or slight terrain differences or even labels, wouldn't fix. (That is, if this land has any of those things.)

Thanks Gramps

The "fog" is indeed one of the aspects I feel somewhat proud of. It is such a simple thing (just a color to alpha gradient layer), but it does a lot to convey depth, helping along the "perspective" element of the map greatly.

As to more terrain stuff, I hear you, but I just wish I didn't. Routes and terrain can add a bit, but what I really need is forests. The only problem is that adding forests will be a lot of work, but you are right that they are needed. I guess I will start adding those in then, but in case I don't get them finished in time for the ending of the competition, here is a more finished version of the map:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Moros (perspective).png 
Views:	30 
Size:	9.39 MB 
ID:	125159

Adding the title, makes the land look less empty. As is, it is very good.

If you want to imply forests without taking too much time, you could use a brush (possibly a grunge texture brush) and paint or 'dab' areas green. I'm not exactly sure how it will look, but it might do the trick.

For routes, I use the path tool in GIMP, to create the route, then "stroke path". It generally doesn't take me very long... depending on how many paths I use. Lol.

Lol. "Gramps". I like that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast