Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: September 2020 Challenge: Moros (West)

2nd thumbs up for the fog effect. It adds a nice sense of depth, and perhaps a sense of mystery about why lies beyond the borders, which leaves the viewer wanting to know more...!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by The Elderly Cartographer View Post
    Adding the title, makes the land look less empty. As is, it is very good.

If you want to imply forests without taking too much time, you could use a brush (possibly a grunge texture brush) and paint or 'dab' areas green. I'm not exactly sure how it will look, but it might do the trick.

For routes, I use the path tool in GIMP, to create the route, then "stroke path". It generally doesn't take me very long... depending on how many paths I use. Lol.

Lol. "Gramps". I like that!
    For routes, I was already planning on using that same method. I like to do as many things as possible using paths, because then I have the path saved too, which gives me so much ability to fix big errors later, or just try new styles (stroking the path, adding it to selection, growing/shrinking selection are all such great tools to have available!).

For forests, I went a huntin' for brushes, and lucked out with a whole swath of brushes made just for mapping in GIMP. I can highly recommend them all (the brushes I used can be found HERE). So with those I managed to add forests, some marshy areas, and a bit of indication of grassland as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    2nd thumbs up for the fog effect. It adds a nice sense of depth, and perhaps a sense of mystery about why lies beyond the borders, which leaves the viewer wanting to know more...!
    Thanks ChickPea! I find that GIMP has some crazy simple effects that can be used to excellent effect (pun much intended ). The gradient to alpha one in particular can be so versatile, as I used that both for the fog, and for the mountain shading as well. Just an awesome way to use a simple graphic effect to get different feels out of things.

Anyway, made lots of changes to the map, adding a bunch of little detail (roads, lesser trails, lesser settlements, forests, marsh, grasslands). I hope y'all like the new bits, and if anyone has last minute suggestions before the September challenge closes, I would love to hear them.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moros (perspective)(indexed).png 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	125174

My (ongoing) Novel set in Arabia in Antiquity

(Link directs to a different forum site, but one with identical formatting to this one)

After "finishing" the map, I realized I was very unhappy with the starkly different styles of the mountains with regards to everything else. As such, I redid them entirely, using the glorious brushes I found for GIMP. So here is a new version, with sharper mountains, and a more consistent overall feel. Hope y'all like it, and as always, any feedback is much appreciated!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moros (perspective)(indexed).png 
Views:	73 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	125198

My (ongoing) Novel set in Arabia in Antiquity

(Link directs to a different forum site, but one with identical formatting to this one)

This version is really cool, the change in the mountains style was a rigth decision

No suggestions on my end. You have done a beautiful job!

I'll look into those brushes, they look pretty neat.

Visit my business site: The Elderly Cartographer
    For commissions: Fiverr
    Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and DeviantArt

This turned out great Kilo!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12