Thread: city of Sargadh

Map city of Sargadh

A new city map... cus, the cities never end.
    I just got caught up in a big pool of city map comms and then this fellow...
    This was a surprise city. Which was even more a surprise as I have been doing cities for a bit now and wasn't planning to do an extra one, especially one so big. But I had a client who asked about a large city, and I wanted to see if I could find a faster way to do one. It sort of worked, until i over complicated it, and made it take just as long as any other city. ;P

It's part of Nhyn, which is still being developed. I haven't yet finished even a rough world map. I'll share one whenever I have one ready.

You can support more development, if you want - https://www.patreon.com/sirinkman
    I may be starting to do some of the world building stuff with word anvil, as it seems like it would be great for linking all these maps together.
    But, it has a monthly cost, so I'm trying to see if I can get any support for further development there.
    Anything helps.

Here's the fluff info. I'll have more as it develops. This was just written quickly this morning, before posting.

The City of Sargadh

Sargadh is one of the largest trading port cities on the Sarnahm Sea, which is part of the waters between mainland Nohl and the big island, Hihlun. Sargadh sits on a headland jutting out from the mainland into the deep channel that cuts through north eastern Nohl. The region surrounding the city is a rugged, wild land abounding with wild wood creatures, in a region already known for some highly adaptive and lethal flora, which lead to life behind protective barriers and city walls, when one could afford it.

The city is populated by a motley crew including botanists, chemists, foresters, breeders, merchants, and warehousers, as well as dangerous cutthroats, strong-arms, ruffians, and sharp-eyed, stout guides to aid the roaming alchemists, sages, and traders. Many have found their fortunes in the woodland wilds of the region. Just as many lie, scattered and unseen, beneath the tall trees that darken the hidden valleys and groves all around. Be wary if you travel here, and hire a solid, trusted guide. That coin spent may save your hide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City of Sargadh by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	124971

Have a great week. Cheers, J

Awesome work, John! Your cities are always fantastic

I started using World Anvil about a year ago, and I think it's a fantastic tool, and completely worth every cent. I highly recommend it

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Great city John, easy to get lost looking around in it!

Can't rep you but great map, always good to see another lovely city map posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Awesome work, John! Your cities are always fantastic

I started using World Anvil about a year ago, and I think it's a fantastic tool, and completely worth every cent. I highly recommend it

Wingshaw
    Thanks George
    I'm hoping it provides a good platform for this stuff, which I think it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great city John, easy to get lost looking around in it!
    Thanks Bogie
    I't definitely a good size to get lost in.
    Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Can't rep you but great map, always good to see another lovely city map posted.
    Thanks QED

At first I was a bit unsure if I liked it or not, I mean, I do like it, it's a beast of a map like you are used to deliver but I'm not always a fan of the bevel road.

BUT ! Your flawless design is here, you went the subtle route with the beveling and, all in all, it is pretty awesome as usual. The care you give the shrubberies/fields and forests is awesome and the ornaments are golden plus the dark theme looks pretty ominous and I like ominous maps.

Great job as usual

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very impressive as you know how to be efficient even after a radical change of style!
    It's darker, more "realistic", but the overall impression is still strong. I really like your work on relief and forests... I would love to master this technique, because I find it very "eye-catching".
    The setting and the banner are very successful and the city is splendid, with all its canals.
    My only reservation is on the font used (too modern for my taste) and on the port: I find the pontoons too wide and too "disorganised" for my taste (if what I say makes sense?).
    It's really very small details in view of the beauty of the whole... I already feel like nominating her for the 2020 Atlas Rewards !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    At first I was a bit unsure if I liked it or not, I mean, I do like it, it's a beast of a map like you are used to deliver but I'm not always a fan of the bevel road.

BUT ! Your flawless design is here, you went the subtle route with the beveling and, all in all, it is pretty awesome as usual. The care you give the shrubberies/fields and forests is awesome and the ornaments are golden plus the dark theme looks pretty ominous and I like ominous maps.

Great job as usual
    I can understand that. This was an exercise in varying things, and even I am so-so about certain parts of it.
    I do like these learning exercises though. They show, just as often, what not to do next time.
    Fir example - don't do cities back to back to back..... leads to mental burn-out.
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Very impressive as you know how to be efficient even after a radical change of style!
    It's darker, more "realistic", but the overall impression is still strong. I really like your work on relief and forests... I would love to master this technique, because I find it very "eye-catching".
    The setting and the banner are very successful and the city is splendid, with all its canals.
    My only reservation is on the font used (too modern for my taste) and on the port: I find the pontoons too wide and too "disorganised" for my taste (if what I say makes sense?).
    It's really very small details in view of the beauty of the whole... I already feel like nominating her for the 2020 Atlas Rewards !
    Thanks for that input, as it always helps with new directions.
    I agree. I was not satisfied with the docks area. They were to be stone quays, but they were not done to my satisfaction.
    Part of the exercise was time management, so I was trying to keep myself from overdoing things, like I usually do.
    That ended up being somewhat hit and miss.

And ironically, I went through so many different fonts, and the choice was really an arbitrary one, unlike how I normally go about it.
    I used the font that I had for the lower weblink text, rather than changing the weblink text to match the location font.
    Lesson learned, and noted.

Another beautiful city to behold and to wander in its streets.
    I particularly like your use of colours on this one, quite different of your usual style for this kind of map.

Wow! Certainly different from what I'm used to seeing from you, but very effective. I obviously love the living hell out of these colours. One of those cool maps that kind of marries the 3D-esque look with the more textured paper surface. Loving that stone ornament on the bottom of the frame!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.