Thread: Faerun, most sources map.

Default Faerun, most sources map.

When running my campaign, I want to keep it close to cannon as possible and end up spending hours googling, skimming, reading and checking just to make sure I havent missed an important landmark or settlement in a certain area. Even trails and roads that feature in a lot of the guides and adventures surprise me sometimes - "Sorry guys, that village you passed through DID have a temple to Lathander in it" - I love finding out about the lore that is nestled or hidden in plain site in some book from 1987 or a Dragon article or some such.
    Anyway, I went through all the books I have (not novels) and added the roads, trails, towns, landmarks etc that I could do my own version of the Faerun map.
    Some of it will be a little incorrect thanks to the map being warped somewhat between 2 & 3. Spelling errors may be present because... well, oops. Some of it is my homebrew stuff (particularly in the Marches) but I think some of you might enjoy what I have done to the best of my ability (and before my GC popped)
    It's a zip available here if you want to take a look, adapt, use as is, or scrutinize but it is a massive file so be careful where you leave it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faerunsample.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	677.0 KB 
ID:	124982  

Blog Entries

Hi Chamber, welcome to the guild.

This was my beef with Faerun too. When it first came out I was quite excited by the prospect of WotC doing most of the hard work to make up a land and populate it so that we could RPG in it and have some reference material in order to see what is supposed to be there.

But... the issue is that there were so many avenues for the reference for it and there were no places that were left as "for GMs" that there was then nowhere left in order for the GM to map in where any player may find reference material that contradicted the GMs world view.

I had a mate that read a lot of the books and had huge advantageous knowledge about the world that I as the GM did not have. I would also map areas that were not officially mapped only to find that 6 months later a new reference book would map that village with a wildly different view than my map. In short order, my Faerun was different to the official version and it all got confusing. I then mapped a new world.

There has never been a fully mapped world that people - all people - can add to and get some of it as perceived reference and some other areas being jointly developed. Like a block chain or an open source application code there ought to be some world version for use by people.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

what an incredible work! A crazy job and the result is very impressive: the file is surprisingly light for a map of this size!
    In any case, bravo for the quality of the drawing and the precision of the map... splendid!

You’re very creative

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    what an incredible work! A crazy job and the result is very impressive: the file is surprisingly light for a map of this size!
    In any case, bravo for the quality of the drawing and the precision of the map... splendid!
    Thank you, was a nightmare to be honest and like I said, there WILL be some inaccuracies but, the best I could do!

Great map Chamber!! Well done!
    Welcome to the Guild!

Default FR review

This is great work!

I've been devoted to FR since it came out and this reminds me of a focus to the Atlas they came out with.

Great work!

Wow, that is some serious dedication there great job!

Redrobes makes a very good point in that when a setting has so very much material it becomes more difficult to use without running into issues. Of course your always free to turn around and say "Well, in MY Faerun there is No temple to Lathander etc" but sometimes it's just easier to say it's uh.. inspired by setting X.

Default Very nice

Very nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by Chamber101 View Post
    When running my campaign, I want to keep it close to cannon as possible and end up spending hours googling, skimming, reading and checking just to make sure I havent missed an important landmark or settlement in a certain area. Even trails and roads that feature in a lot of the guides and adventures surprise me sometimes - "Sorry guys, that village you passed through DID have a temple to Lathander in it" - I love finding out about the lore that is nestled or hidden in plain site in some book from 1987 or a Dragon article or some such.
    Anyway, I went through all the books I have (not novels) and added the roads, trails, towns, landmarks etc that I could do my own version of the Faerun map.
    Some of it will be a little incorrect thanks to the map being warped somewhat between 2 & 3. Spelling errors may be present because... well, oops. Some of it is my homebrew stuff (particularly in the Marches) but I think some of you might enjoy what I have done to the best of my ability (and before my GC popped)
    It's a zip available here if you want to take a look, adapt, use as is, or scrutinize but it is a massive file so be careful where you leave it!
    I would be interested in the blank that you mention in the read me file.