Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September 2020 Challenge: Bureaucracy Tower

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip September 2020 Challenge: Bureaucracy Tower

Bureaucracy Tower:
    In a futuristic world that is inhabited by guerrilla warriors and rebel forces, the governing administrations are forced to work from massive 4,000-feet towers. The towers would be easy targets for missiles and aircraft, if it did not possess excessive counter-measures and air supremacy vehicles. Also besieging the tower would utterly fail, due to the ground forces' quick deployment methods and the precision anti-personnel laser beam turrets. There is a saying among the inhabitants of the world that goes, "If you can see the tower, the tower can see you; and shoot you."

Backstory:
    I was at a park in the city, and I noticed that there was 10 or 13 radio and cellphone towers spread across the horizon. It wasn't hard to imagine them as military towers that looked down and micro-managed the citizens below.

I modeled the tower in Blender 3D, then took the renders into GIMP to create the layout.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Perspective Map WIP.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	125001

Visit my business site: The Elderly Cartographer
    For commissions: Fiverr
    Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and DeviantArt

And this is just the DMV!

Very interesting start. Are you planning on giving it color at all as you go along? On the one hand, there is something almost appropriate about the stark grayscale version you've got so far, but I feel like colors (especially for the sky) would help to give this more contrast and depth. Just a thought though (and one that may be entirely wrong ).

My (ongoing) Novel set in Arabia in Antiquity

(Link directs to a different forum site, but one with identical formatting to this one)

Love the concept and back story. The the way 2020's going, anything's possible. Loving your use of blender, I'm really looking forward to how you work up the borders.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    And this is just the DMV!
    Precisely. Word of warning: Don't let them catch you driving with expired tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Very interesting start. Are you planning on giving it color at all as you go along? On the one hand, there is something almost appropriate about the stark grayscale version you've got so far, but I feel like colors (especially for the sky) would help to give this more contrast and depth. Just a thought though (and one that may be entirely wrong ).
    I am going to color it, but in a monochromatic way (Something like this: https://www.behance.net/gallery/7145...screen-FUI-HUD ). I like your suggestions, and will keep them in mind. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shamension View Post
    Love the concept and back story. The the way 2020's going, anything's possible. Loving your use of blender, I'm really looking forward to how you work up the borders.
    I know, right?... Beware, if your state buys the land beside you, and starts erecting a tall skyscraper. It might just be a new and improved DMV.

Thank you. I wanted to go for a three perspective map, but doubted my skill to properly portray it, so I fell back on Blender.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Perspective Map WIP 2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	609.2 KB 
ID:	125007

Looking at the map again, I just had a small thought about strategy that I think you have to incorporate. The tower is so tall that it needs stabilizing cables down to the ground, but that makes those stabilizing cables a massive weak point for the defensibility of the tower itself. After all, the only thing a rogue driver with too many points on his license needs to do is go to one of those anchor points and place a small bomb, then the next gust of wind will blow the DMV over. I think therefore that you need to put some little earthworks and gun emplacements around those anchor points as well. Nothing big or ostentatious, but enough to let the would-be drivers know who's boss.

My (ongoing) Novel set in Arabia in Antiquity

(Link directs to a different forum site, but one with identical formatting to this one)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Looking at the map again, I just had a small thought about strategy that I think you have to incorporate. The tower is so tall that it needs stabilizing cables down to the ground, but that makes those stabilizing cables a massive weak point for the defensibility of the tower itself. After all, the only thing a rogue driver with too many points on his license needs to do is go to one of those anchor points and place a small bomb, then the next gust of wind will blow the DMV over. I think therefore that you need to put some little earthworks and gun emplacements around those anchor points as well. Nothing big or ostentatious, but enough to let the would-be drivers know who's boss.
    That is a very good point, thank you.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Perspective Map WIP 3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	125074

It kinda has the menu style of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.
    Last edited by The Elderly Cartographer; 09-21-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Added some more details to the GUI, and changed the Operation Radius and the building scale.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Perspective Map WIP 5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	125164

The GUI is looking sharp.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast