Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: City of Marraic

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SharpPointyStick View Post
    Really awesome city! I particularly liked the docks on each end of the outer portion of the city. The ships are a nice extra touch! Just an altogether cool piece of work ion my opinion! I really enjoyed it!
    Thanks a lot for your comments ! I'm really glad you liked this map ! I tried to make the ships look "elvish", but I think it's too little to show...

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkovika View Post
    Oh, that is SO pretty! I could see this kind of city in a video game, like Final Fantasy- or even Elder Scrolls. The details were gorgeous, and I loved the angle- I'm trying to draw a tiered city (with a LOT of failure on my part lmao), so seeing this is especially rewarding. Perspective is a complete insanity. I love the shading on the water too- the whole map is so uniform, it's just so aesthetically pleasing. Super gorgeous!!
    Thanks a lot for your kind words ! And I'm very touched by the analogy with Final fantasy and even more with Elder Scroll (which I loved... except for the online version... huge disappointment) I'd love to see the map you're drawing (if you can put the link) ! Thanks again for the complimentary comment !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Wise words ! I find it strange how not being satisfied with one's work is a kind of lack of humility? A priori, I always thought that being satisfied with oneself could be considered pride. In what you are telling me, I understand that you have to accept the flaws of your work and not reject the work itself, but also try to correct them in the next map... all this without getting discouraged... Apparently, the artistic path is a work on oneself to learn humility... a path to wisdom, in a way...
    In a way, yes. It is definitely a path to walk on, but not quite a destination to arrive at. For sure.
    I think it was Salvadore Dali who said - Do not fear perfection, for you will never achieve it.
    Getting ideas down on paper in a decent way and moving on to new ideas can be a hard thing.
    I often want to make them look just so, but I have only one lifetime and so many ideas for things.
    So I have to find ways to be faster, or accept less perfect renderings.

I sort of accept that statement about humility, but I also feel there is nothing wrong with striving to be better than you are.
    Or being able to achieve more tomorrow than you can today. Accepting one limit, to reach beyond another limit, seems reasonable to me.
    I could spend months on a single map, or I could do 4 in the same time. Knowing I will likely be just as unsatisfied with that multi-month map, I choose more.
    Not quantity over quality, per se, but the ability to show more ideas in the same amount of time.. tell more stories of more places, perhaps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123