Thread: Westeros only with QGIS

Default Westeros only with QGIS

Hello fellow cartographers!
    I've been playing with QGIS for a while now, and as time pass the visual possibilities of this software are getting closer and closer from what you can do with photoshop.
    Of course the way you work your map is quite different with a GIS software, and photoshop is still way better when you want to draw nice mountains.
    But you can now use textures, add drop shadow effects and add nice icons in svg format.
    The big + for mapping with GIS software is that you don't have to draw the shape of continents, river ect.. all those GIS data about westeros are avaible online.
    Here's the result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exemple_resultat3.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	126334
    Last edited by Francissimo; 11-17-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Nice, and thats a really good example of a map in QGIS. Normally they look clean but not very artistic.

Theres a couple of points like some of the black lettering is over the black icons and the white lettering is over some very pale areas and also that the border at the top runs over some text too. I expect that the locations of these text items is obtained from the GIS data that is online. Maybe its not to easy to move them.

The sea texture is good but is not seamless. You could try putting it through my seamless generator process but I have the feeling that it wont work quite so well on this one with the structured shapes on it.
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=1373

But there are many advantages to having the map is a GIS format so that you can georeference the locations within it and add stuff in at different scales. Very useful if you are role playing in the area.