Thread: Hi! Amateur Map Maker, Here!

Post Hi! Amateur Map Maker, Here!

I just really like making maps, that's basically it. I don't plan on making it a professional thing, or anything like that- if anything, I'd like to just expand on my critical thinking for maps. Found this website because someone mentioned it in a Reddit post, and ran over here, stat.

One of the things I look forward to the most is learning more about Geography, specifically- like the idea that deserts may form in by mountains, because mountains block the rain, or what biomes go where and how one might indicate a biome is what it is. I know it's not TOTALLY necessary to be so exact when making a fantasy map, but it's like learning a musical instrument- you learn the rules, so you can more effectively break them.

I have a serious love of cartography. I do hand drawn, but I also use Wonderdraft, Hexmapmaker, Inkarnet, and I got this super cool software recently from Humble Bundle that I am completely blanking on the name of at the moment, it's installed on a different computer so I'm totally brain farting on it, but I have it and I absolutely love the way it looks, I just still need to learn how to use it. It's a bit different than what I'm used to, but I did some noodling around in the software.

Part of me just loves making maps because I love telling stories. I have a few maps I've made for some novels I'm working on, and I've played around with making interactive text-based-style games with maps as the "game".

I'll do my best to learn the ins and outs of the forum, so please forgive me if I accidentally step on any toes! Also I'm working out my albums on my profile, so don't mind the mess if you happen to take a look, still getting used to the website.

Seems like you've found the place to be for any map enthusiast, nice! I look forward to seeing what kind of things you create.
    Welcome to the Guild! If you have any trouble finding your way around, just holler.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I'd be interested in knowing more about your text based game map noodling.

The program is Campaign Cartographer.

Welcome.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Welcome to the Guild, Darkovika
    Glad to see you dropped in.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    hello and welcome to the guild
    Thank you so much, I'm very excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing more about your text based game map noodling.

The program is Campaign Cartographer.

Welcome.
    That's the exact program!!

In terms of the map noodling, basically I took a very simple software called TyranoBuilder and dropped my map into it as a still image background. I then turned areas into clickable sections that would display text when the player clicks on them. The current iteration was more a test run- proof of concept, if you will. I have a very short video you can see here, it's a link to a reddit post I made! Next steps would involve adding variables and loops, as well as turning it into an actual game with potential story, but I'm not sure I'd use that map for it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Welcome to the Guild, Darkovika
    Glad to see you dropped in.
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Seems like you've found the place to be for any map enthusiast, nice! I look forward to seeing what kind of things you create.
    Welcome to the Guild! If you have any trouble finding your way around, just holler.
    Thank you so very much!!