Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The City of Cinzienne

Default The City of Cinzienne

Greetings Cartographers!

This map represents the end of a very long odyssey in map production. I did my first sketch of Cinzienne way back in 2016, and have started it from scratch several times. It's my second major city map and a very different style from my previous city, Arcellor. I don't think I could have produced anything close to this nice back when I first began, and I'm very please with how this one materialized...

...except I've been having some exporting problems. I have this big document (30x22 at 300 pixels/inch), and I'm operating with the idea that it's read at print size (which Photoshop tells me is 24% but all of the text looks so blurry at this zoom, and nice and crisp and effective at 25%). So I resize the image for sharing here on the CG and for some reason it just doesn't look as crisp as it does in Photoshop. I hope I explained that well enough (perhaps I'm even making it up). Suggestions on this topic?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cinzienne.png 
Views:	2021 
Size:	7.66 MB 
ID:	115323

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Well, first, I don't think it looks bad. The map itself is awesome, nice job!! Also, the labels in the map look just fine as well.

But if you REALLY want to get nitpicky about the legend text, the problem is that sizing text after the fact isn't as effective as sizing the pic and then using a smaller font size. You're losing anti-aliasing and the nuances of scaling text. This is really visible on a serif font like the one you've used, because the serifs and the thick parts shouldn't scale at the same rate (and when you scale an image that is what happens).

Try scaling without the legend text, then re-doing the legend in a smaller font size for the smaller image size. It will be beautifully crisp and clean.

Very nice map.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

A very good map, North ! Congrats for it

Not sure if it helps at all, but :
    Never trust Photoshop's zoom : it always looks bad and blurry if you're not at 25, 33,33, 50 or 66,67%, while it's not when actually resized. Also, always resize your map with all your layers, and flatten them later : it helps lines and text to be better.
    Last edited by MistyBeee; 05-09-2019 at 08:24 AM.

^ What Misty said.

The map look very nice. I love the city layout. All is very clear and legible. The inset map is also a great touch.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Amazing city map! Just incredible, I can only imagine how long this took.

And yeah, Beee is right on the PS zoom stuff, pay heed to what she said
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

really nice work

Brilliant map, always great to see another high quality city map popping up on the guild!

Very nice map. I'm curious to learn more about the technique you used to create it.

Just lovely, very crisp and clean looking, I bet they have street sweepers employed. This is great inspiration for a city map I'm just starting to work on.

Cheers!

IR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast