Thread: Rhost - Arctic Continent

Guild Novice

Map Rhost - Arctic Continent

A while back I created my first map and posted it to the forums, and afterward had quite a bit more practice drawing more maps! About a year after making it, I decided to remake it for an art project using my new experience. Recently looking through my work for that class I found it again, and I suppose sharing it now is better than never! (Apologies if the image is a bit blurry)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rhost.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	5.40 MB 
ID:	125191

This is the continent of Rhost, a fairly inhospitable, freezing land located in the far north. While there is some forest coverage in the south where various logging towns have sprung up, much of the continent is icy desert and tundra, split through the middle with a variety of mountain ranges, making travel between regions incredibly difficult. However, this challenge didn't stop both the hardy natives and stubborn colonizers from setting up villages and towns in just about every location, importing the goods they need to survive and exporting wood and minerals. Because of the split nature of the land, many different factions were able to establish themselves with varying success, although tensions are usually quite high. Raids are not especially uncommon when factions run low on supplies, although the unpredictable weather and travel conditions discourage outright war.

While mostly mundane, there are numerous points of interest, from ruins of lost civilizations to the two floating islands that linger off the coast. One of particular interest is the massive crater lake located in the southern portion of the continent. Many have theorized what could've been the origin of this landform - perhaps it was where one of the floating islands rose from, or perhaps it's the impact site of an incredible meteorite. Unfortunately, the presence of a highly territorial dragon that has claimed the crater as his own makes researching any of these hypotheses nearly impossible.

You have a pleasing style, the map is very clear and easy to read. Simple yet effective forests too, I really like how you drew them. The mountains could maybe use some lower foothills connected to them in order to make the transition to flat land smoother, but that is more a stylistic choice.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Novice

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, I agree about the hills, I definitely could've put some more of those in there. Would've broken up some of the more empty space better as well probably.