Thread: Enkylmar

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Map Enkylmar

At least once a year i need to reassure myself, that i still can draw a mountainous island by hand...
    I had some time in the underground today doodling along, and actually scanned an coloured it in gimp right away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Enkylmar_halfsize.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	125192

Came out as a kind of a stylistic clone to one of my last maps "Übermorgenland" though much simpler. The folded parchment (and the iso compass) is an hommage to John's awesome detailed parchments...the least i could do for not commenting on your last ...what hundred?... masterpieces you produced. And for Thomas, regarding my notorious not-responding to your messages and comments, i at least tried to heed your advice on using not only highlights on the forest canopy, but shadows too! XD

Hope it won't take another nine month to post the next stop of Mar Bulafit's travels. I'm sorry that i'm not as active commenting or posting here at the CG last year(s?). I try to lurk from time to time and be overwhelmed by the fantastic works of art and the heartwarming community-life around.

Love y'all!

AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Always glad to see you resurface, man, however briefly. We miss your work around here.
    I believe a point about still being able to draw an island was proved! Nice little piece.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really, really amazing mountains here. This is a style that always looks amazing but I have such a problem drawing, particularly when they are headed vertically along the page. And it is confirmed that you can draw a mountainous island!

Glad to have you bakc Martin Fantastic piece albeit simpler than your usual (it has it's charm). If I had one comment it would be that you could dare starker contrasts for the shading/highlights, it would look even better. Also, I hope that one of the reasons keeping you away from the forums is growing well

Cheers mein Freund !

PS : that art-déco aesthetic is superb, especially the compass, clever idea

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Always glad to see you resurface, man, however briefly. We miss your work around here.
    I believe a point about still being able to draw an island was proved! Nice little piece.
    Hey Kell, many thanks! I missed being around here too...I already have more mappiness in the making...

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Really, really amazing mountains here. This is a style that always looks amazing but I have such a problem drawing, particularly when they are headed vertically along the page. And it is confirmed that you can draw a mountainous island!
    Hey Arimel, i'm glad you like the map! I'd love to give you at least some hints for this style of mountains. Always helpful is drawing with an isometric grid (as a layer when working digitally or at least in mind when drawing traditionally with pen & inks..or even directly on isometric graph paper) as it lets you think more about "rooting" your mountains in the isometric plane... hope it makes sense?... The single most important tutorial for me, maybe you stumbled upon it before, was the "How to draw a horizontal mountain range" Tutorial by Jonathan Roberts (aka Torstan here at the Guild). I interpreted his way a bit to my liking, but the basic principles are the same. Also Xpian's illustrative in-depth critique/commentary of a mountainrange is really helpful and i referred to it numerous times, as are his video tutorials....Well Maxime's mountains inspired many around here too i guess Hope it's helpful to you

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Glad to have you bakc Martin Fantastic piece albeit simpler than your usual (it has it's charm). If I had one comment it would be that you could dare starker contrasts for the shading/highlights, it would look even better. Also, I hope that one of the reasons keeping you away from the forums is growing well

Cheers mein Freund !

PS : that art-déco aesthetic is superb, especially the compass, clever idea
    Hey Thomas, hope you 4 are doing well too! Well, in the midst of writing these replies, my lovely daughter got up from her noon sleep and i find myself back at my PC now in the evening...you know what i mean XD (...at least i can paint with her together now and count it as her AND my hobby time ) I went deliberately with the more subtle difference of shade and highlights relative to the base colour. On the next piece i'll go for starker contrasts, i promise.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter