Thread: Test on medium-scale map

Map Test on medium-scale map

Here is a practice for medium-scale cartography. The aim was a "photorealistic" render with a shaded relief. I'm really happy with the result, but I'd really appreciate some feeback for further improvements.
    Tools used :
    - TerreSculptor for the DEM
    - Blender for the shaded relief
    - A texture shading algorithm to enhance rocky texture on the shaded relief, created by Leland Brown, that you can find here: https://www.box.net/v/textureshading
    - QGIS for raster data manipulation
    - Photoshop and Illustrator

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Large-scale exercice.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	125199
    Last edited by BlindBlake; 09-29-2020 at 03:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi BlindBlake,

That is a nice map. Before I comment on it tho I should just set for the record that a large scale map is one that is close up such as a town plan or a dungeon and a small scale map is one that covers a region or country. Now of course your world could be very large indeed and this is but a tiny bit of it and thus large scale in comparison to the world as a whole but generally stuff with mountains and land areas in it are small scale mapping.

The mountains look like a good shape. I would suggest that you flatten the lake at the height of the water. Whilst its very useful to have the sub surface bathymetry for other reasons, for a render of the map as a realistic place, you would not see much past a meter or two under the surface and therefore not see the bottom of what appears to be a very deep lake.

But to be clear, I like it a lot.

those subdued muted colors remind me of the original Diablo. I imagine Tristram nestled in there some where. I like it
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Hi BlindBlake,

That is a nice map. Before I comment on it tho I should just set for the record that a large scale map is one that is close up such as a town plan or a dungeon and a small scale map is one that covers a region or country. Now of course your world could be very large indeed and this is but a tiny bit of it and thus large scale in comparison to the world as a whole but generally stuff with mountains and land areas in it are small scale mapping.

The mountains look like a good shape. I would suggest that you flatten the lake at the height of the water. Whilst its very useful to have the sub surface bathymetry for other reasons, for a render of the map as a realistic place, you would not see much past a meter or two under the surface and therefore not see the bottom of what appears to be a very deep lake.

But to be clear, I like it a lot.
    Thanks for your answer. I'll edit the name of the topic to medium-scale. It's true I'm more used to call large scale every map on which buildings are visible.
    EDIT: Hmmm, is it possible to change the title of the thread ? I want to change "large" to "medium" but I don't really know how.

I first went for the opaque lake, but it was weird and I prefered the version with bathymetry. I'll try one with one or two meters visible, I think that could be a nice solution, thanks for the tip !

Quote Originally Posted by Slylok View Post
    those subdued muted colors remind me of the original Diablo. I imagine Tristram nestled in there some where. I like it
    Thanks !
    Last edited by BlindBlake; 09-29-2020 at 03:35 AM.

Here's a version without the bathymetry in the lake, it really looks more realistic, thanks for the idea Redrobes !

Attachment 125205
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Medium-scale exercice - Opaque lake.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	125204  

Blog Entries

Oh yes that looks splendid. I like how you have the ground going into the water and fading out. Thats how I like to do mine too.