Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sept/Oct '20 Lite Challenge: The Lost Orrery

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Map Sept/Oct '20 Lite Challenge: The Lost Orrery

Hi everyone!

I couldn't let this challenge slip by, so I'm in. Normally with challenges I try to push my boundaries, so here I go again.

So, I started with the idea of doing an overview map. BUT, somewhere I felt I wanted to zoom in a bit. And with that I want to map the ruins of a forgotten Orrery. Since I like ruins and I really like the idea of Orreries, I think it would be cool to give it a go. I guess this will be an encounter map? Since it is larger than your average battlemap. By all means point out what type of RPG map this is.

Also, since this is meant for adventures, you are all welcome to throw ideas. I'll try my best to realize it.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Lost Orrery_v1.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	125224

Overview of the larger area,

Name:	The Forgotten_Marsh_v1.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	125223

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

It's been days on this boat, and sometimes our only companion besides our sore muscles is the creaking of the wood and the taps of the oar poles. Yet, I'd take this over the chaos happening outside the marsh where hope has been in extremely short supply. I only hope the rumors of ruins in this infuriating place is true. We need somewhere to regroup, and maybe just maybe it would give us time to find a way to shift the war that has become so dark as of late.
    A shout and a nervous whimper shatters the silence.
    Our translator listen to our guides, and only says that people have gone missing here, we have to go back. But, I lift my hand and remind them, back means dying in that war. We have to find something new. As the words leave my mouth, a gap in the trees reveal ancient ruins. A big dome of stone, overgrown by roots and brush stand as a testament of time. Whoever built this, built it to last. Again my voice break the silence, "Send some scouts, see if the area is safe. If so, this is our new home. We have little other choice until we can find something to fight back."

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Welcome to the Challenge XCali. Nice backstory, good start on the map!

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    It's been days on this boat, and sometimes our only companion besides our sore muscles is the creaking of the wood and the taps of the oar poles.
    The funny thing about this sentence is that when I look at your avatar, sometimes I see a ninja drawing his katana and sometimes I see a guy rowing his boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    The funny thing about this sentence is that when I look at your avatar, sometimes I see a ninja drawing his katana and sometimes I see a guy rowing his boat!
    Wait, is it NOT a guy rowing a boat?

The larger map looks extremely swampy.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Welcome to the Challenge XCali. Nice backstory, good start on the map!

Thanks! Hehe, I wanted to set the map up with a little story. Maybe it can serve as a good adventure hook.
    Hahaha! That is so funny! It makes me wonder if I should reveal what it is or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Wait, is it NOT a guy rowing a boat?

The larger map looks extremely swampy.
    Hehe, makes you wonder eh?

Yeah, the larger one was how I started, but then I chose a section which I'm going to map for this challenge.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

So, for this I started some basic shading for the land and added lineart. Which consists of the main ruins and the forward tents of the party that arrived to the mysterious place.

The grid blocks are 70x70 pixels, and 140x140 pixels respectively. Though I am still wondering what number of feet each should represent for this map. Any ideas?
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	The_Lost_Orrery_v3.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	6.43 MB 
ID:	125226
    Last edited by XCali; 09-30-2020 at 12:02 PM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

The building is cool. I don't know if I am missing something, but I don't see any grid blocks.

Not for whole map, just next to my logo

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

That's a lot done in just one day. I would make it about 4 feet for the small square, judging by tents and crates sitting around.

I would agree with Kisachik but would round up so the small square is 5' and the larger one is 10 ft.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast