Thread: The Kingdom of Knurden

Default The Kingdom of Knurden

Here's a map that I did recently for my Patreon

The Kingdom of Knurden is a cold and harsh nation in the north of Wordal. Of old, the people that dwelled here were a divided one, spread out across many competing clans. The rivalry amongst clans combined with the harsh weather made this a dangerous place to live. The people of the Fjords lived like this for centuries.

Two winter's ago a man decided that it was enough when his clan engaged in combat with another. His people were being crushed and upon seeing this, this man burst into a rage like no one had ever seen before, he defeated the enemy almost single handedly! In this fight, he lost all his teeth, save for one. From this day on, the man was known as Fjurmann Ojntund.

Fjurmann became the leader of his clan, and out of fear of what this man could do, the survivors of the opposing clan joined his. Fjurmann continued to confront other clans offering them to join his or suffer the same fate as his enemies. Within 3 moons, he had united all of Knurden under one clan, pronounced himself King Fjurmann I of House Ojntund, and founded the Kingdom of Knurden.

The Kingdom of Knurden is still young, and the harsh people have little experience with diplomacy and politics. Still, save for the occasional feud and violent outbreak, King Fjurmann's rule is fair and firm, and his subject loyal. Now it is time for the Knurds to find their place in the world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Free Knurden medium.jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	4.93 MB 
ID:	125411

As always, let me know what you think!

-Daniel

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Nice map! It looks a bit "comic book" and it's not bad at all! Nice work on the colors in any case: the transition from the glacial regions to the grass-covered regions is very successful. Bravo !

I'm just in love with this mapping style of yours. It's so good for my taste of what i look for in a fantasy map. The only (really the only) thing i am not 100% sold on are the city icons. I can't put a finger on it why...maybe a bit too cartoonish?! Not sure. But otherwise...just awesome. Mountains, forests are perfect...the landmass forms are always very pleasing to my eyes. Keep it up, Daniel.

And one question: Do you have a map you can show us where all the different parts go? I mean an overview map of the larger area to see how the world or at least the continent looks like so as to be able to put it into the bigger picture. That'd be awesome and the cherry on top!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Very nice map

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Nice map! It looks a bit "comic book" and it's not bad at all! Nice work on the colors in any case: the transition from the glacial regions to the grass-covered regions is very successful. Bravo !
    Thanks Jo!

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I'm just in love with this mapping style of yours. It's so good for my taste of what i look for in a fantasy map. The only (really the only) thing i am not 100% sold on are the city icons. I can't put a finger on it why...maybe a bit too cartoonish?! Not sure. But otherwise...just awesome. Mountains, forests are perfect...the landmass forms are always very pleasing to my eyes. Keep it up, Daniel.

And one question: Do you have a map you can show us where all the different parts go? I mean an overview map of the larger area to see how the world or at least the continent looks like so as to be able to put it into the bigger picture. That'd be awesome and the cherry on top!
    Thank you Eilathen! I can see why not everyone would like the icons, though I do think they match with this style of map pretty well. I personally like drawing them a lot, and I guess that's what matters most.

I have a world map, covered in a 'fog of war', that I slowly reveal every time I make a new map You can check it out here. Every time I map a new kingdom or nation, its lands are revealed on the world map as well, and all towns and cities that I draw are also marked on the map

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zuol View Post
    Very nice map
    Thanks!

My two cents on the icon question - I don't think it's necessarily the icons themselves, to me it's the fact that some of the areas they are located in look awfully busy, and the icons get a bit lost in the things surrounding them. Kalstor is by far the clearest example of this, the heavy presence of lineart on the coast, the city icon and the text come together in something my eye really struggles to make sense of.

I think the southern areas work much better in this regard, both the incons and text stand out better with the clear stroke around them.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I love how you've managed to make the northern parts look interesting despite them being mostly white. The color on the cities up there really make the whole thing come alive!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    I have a world map, covered in a 'fog of war', that I slowly reveal every time I make a new map You can check it out here. Every time I map a new kingdom or nation, its lands are revealed on the world map as well, and all towns and cities that I draw are also marked on the map
    Very cool! Thank you, Daniel, for that link to your Worldanvil page. I'll keep an eye on it!
    Is there a possibility to "turn off" all those color-bubbles on the map (the information for the different locales/sites)? I'd love to see "just the map" if that's possible (all the bubbles kind of "hide" the map again).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Great map Daniel. I always watch your maps on Instagram. You are popping them like from a machine gun . You work really fast.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Beautiful map!