Thread: Help with QGIS and georeferencing

Question Help with QGIS and georeferencing

Hey there,

I'm trying to create a QGIS project with my world map in order to calculate distances and coordinates correctly for my future maps. I've used G.Projector before, but I've come to realise that I need to keep every image I use in high resolution, and every other program I use distorts my resources. So well, I have the following:

- A complete equirectangular map of my planet (image below):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	total.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	125425
    - Maps of specific continents and regions with more detail, also in equirectangular projection (as they're just cuts from the original map)

As my planet is of a different size than Earth, I know that I need to make a custom CRS for it. I know the total circumference of the planet, and the radius on the equator and the poles (semi/major, semi/minor). So far I've come up with this:

Code:
    +proj=eqc +a=3509525 +b=3468220 +datum=WGS84 +lat_ts=0 +lon_0=0 +rf=800 +units=m +no_defs
    However, I don't think it's correct, but I don't know how to fix it either. I need help with the following:

- How can I make a custom CRS for my planet that actually works?
    - How do I georeference the whole equirectangular map then? And how would I georeference the other sections of my map?
    - If I were to make a map of a certain region, would I need more custom CRS's in case I wanted to use a different projection for it?

I think I'm going crazy over this, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Blog Entries

I don't know much about CRS on GQIS but I was under the impression that preexisting datums like WGS84 define ellipsoids which include the world size as part of them. I found this link:

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questi...tasy-world-map

which seem to show the CRS without the datum in it. But generally I would be interested in what other people comment on this topic too.

Thanks for your reply, Redrobes! Following that link I managed to create a custom CRS that actually works, by deleting the parameters "+datum=WGS84", "+rf=800", and replacing the +a and +b with +R, which is the radius of the custom ellipsoid. Then, in order to georeference the equirectangular map, I defined the four corners of the map this way:

Upper left: -180, 90
    Lower left: -180, -90
    Upper right: 180, 90
    Lower right: 180, -90

The resulting CRS doesn't have a predefined datum but is more than enough for any worldbuilding shenanigans.

Just in case anyone has the same problem.

This is great! My world is half the size of Earth, and I've hadn't ever figured out how to specify a custom world radius for my projections. If you want a named projection in QGIS to match your custom CRS, you can use:

Code:
    gdalsrsinfo --single-line map.tif
    And copy the WKT string for your CRS.

In QGIS, go to Settings -> Custom Projections. Give your CRS a name and paste in the WKT string.

You can now set your layer's CRS by right clicking the layer -> Set CRS -> Set Layer CRS. Search for your Custom CRS in the Filter box.

I am using QGIS 3.14 for this by the way.