Thread: Software to help me create an approximate route on a real map?

Default Software to help me create an approximate route on a real map?

I know this site is mainly for cartographers of fantasy worlds and islands, and my question is focused on real maps and geography, still there are so many experts here on cartography and mapmaking, it can't hurt to ask my simple question here. And in advance, please excuse my ignorance.
    I'm in the middle of writing a thesis on the most authentic Exodus route (following the clues given in the bible). I would like to demonstrate on a map the sites and locations where the Israelites stayed (during the forty year wandering) as well as the route they took to get to Canaan. I tried creating one with Google maps but the problem with maps is that it gives me an exact route which is unsuitable for my needs, given that these ancient routes are at best uncertain, and I feel that giving an exact route is misleading to readers. Furthermore, most of the highways that Google follows most probably did not exist 3000 years ago! Sometimes it will give me an unnecessary long and complicated route from point A to B because no direct roads exist nowadays between the two. I was looking for software that would give me the ability to create an approximate route, e.g., arrows to show where they went maybe also add text and dotted lines to indicate a route, but should be ultimately grounded in reality and real topography. I attached an image to demonstrate the kind of route I envision. Can anyone suggest a software program that's suitable for my needs?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exodus Route Map.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	125457

I'd suggest importing a raster image of the map into Inkscape and using the paths tool. The question is where to source the map. There is also QGIS, about which I know almost nothing, other than it allows you to manipulate mapping data and sounds like it would be very suitable for your application.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I'd suggest importing a raster image of the map into Inkscape and using the paths tool. The question is where to source the map. There is also QGIS, about which I know almost nothing, other than it allows you to manipulate mapping data and sounds like it would be very suitable for your application.
    Thanks for that info. I'll make sure to check out inkscape. I hope it's not too hard to learn how to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Right the real problem is where to source the maps from. There are very little bible maps that are suitable for me, and even the ones who include all my sites will not show the topography that I want. I will check out QGIS though. Thanks for your help.