Thread: Personal Commission: Meteor Crater Lake river system wilderness region

Default Personal Commission: Meteor Crater Lake river system wilderness region

So I just completed a personal commission for a gamer I've done maps for over the years. This is a regional map featuring an ancient meteor crater that is now a filled lake fed by seven rivers, with the western river draining it to the sea. This is just a base map that the commissioner will be labeling himself as he builds a world based on this. The lake is about 60 km across with about a dozen villages and a river pirate town along it's banks. A permanent arcane storm sits over the center of the lake, presumably caused by arcane influences of meteor remnants at the bottom.

I created this using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 365 ($49), a vector drawing program like Adobe Illustrator - the program I use to create the bulk of my maps. This only took me about an hour and a half to create.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	storm-crater-lake.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	125621
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Neat. Looks more 3D than vector to me though, did you use some kind of bevel layer style? By the way, there's a commission request for a vector map right now, maybe you want to apply for it if you didn't already.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Xara's bevel tools are among the best. Photoshop has a maximum bevel, which is pretty small, just at the edge. Xara lets me bevel to the center of any shape, thus applying a full bevel, such as the mountains on the top left. It does create the sense of depth, and why I so often use it. Notice the layers of forest shapes stacked that simulate hills and a rise to the highland areas - this using a very slight rounded bevel. Xara has flat bevel (used on the mountains), rounded 1 and rounded 2 bevels. The rise of land to the northwest (under the mountains) uses a rounded 1 bevel, while the forests use rounded 2 bevel (a slighter rounded bevel). There are 2 chiselled bevels, and flat, rounded, ruffle frame bevels - so a wide array of bevel options.

I don't generally take on personal commissions, it's just that I've done work for this guy over the past 4 years, so a regular client for me, so I comply. My time is so limited these days, I hardly take commissions at all, except big clients or regular clients - I have my own maps needs for my own publications, which I can't get to, when doing commission work. So I can see a time when I stop doing commissions altogether. My own publications and projects make more money in the long run to any commission work I do.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations