Thread: a Physical map of the River Shibboleth

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default a Physical map of the River Shibboleth

River in Sammaea flowing North–West for over 5,050-miles from sources beyond lake Akasm, in the Danosoth Mountains in the South of Ethistonith. The river flows through the nations of Rhinocoloura, Aethios, N’rach, Paraiya, Lidea and Mharokk, before meeting the Inner Sea just South of the Harappan peninsula, at the Bay of Mharka, where silt deposited from the river has created the marshlands of Ilasima. It also acts as a border between Paraiya and Lidea, and Mharokk and Lidea,

The river once featured prominently in the reproductive cycle of the merills, where individuals on the cusp of reaching sexual maturity would return to the rivers' source in lake Akasm, though pollution and corruption of the r. Shibboleth, as well as damming and industrialisation along its course has led to them dwindling greatly in numbers.

Though it shares a name with one of the Two-and-Twenty Demiurges, it is unknown if the two are linked in any way, though in the ancient myth of Aethiosi nomads, the river was created by the tears of Teroth (daughter of the Demiurge Neith) after she was raped by Volupis (son of the Demiurge Serapis).

The r. was dammed in 2943 RM by Aethios, forcing Korachan into war against it, as the construction of the dam slowed the flow of the river downstram to a fraction of its previous output, leading to dozens of imperial cities dwindling. After decades of a largely uneventful war, a desperate Korachan was finally able to destroy the dam in 3017 RM, though the subsequent flooding of the river led to death and destruction downstream, causing more damage than the construction of the dam had in the first place. The dam was never restored and lies ruined to this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the River Shibboleth low-res.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	8.98 MB 
ID:	125504

"comon" missing second "m"

One tiny flaw in a beautiful map.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    "comon" missing second "m"
    thanks, the master map has been updated

Wow, how long does something like that take to finish? Really like the "atlas"-approach to world-building and mapmaking. Reminds me of the feeling I used to get when looking at maps for the Harnworld RPG, they where so different from most other rpg-maps I had seen then. Yours is ofcourse even better, great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohman View Post
    Wow, how long does something like that take to finish? Really like the "atlas"-approach to world-building and mapmaking. Reminds me of the feeling I used to get when looking at maps for the Harnworld RPG, they where so different from most other rpg-maps I had seen then. Yours is ofcourse even better, great work!
    This one was a composite of many different maps that I've made over the past months, i think about 12 maps, give or take, in all, such as this, or this. I manage to make 1 map every 4 weeks, though that includes lots of worldbuilding and fleshing out the regions depicted in the map, which takes up a lot of time.

Thanks for the comparison to Harn, that's a big compliment, and I'd like to have a world as fleshed out and real as Harn some day

Splendid and impressive as always, Vorrop' ! I admire all the work on your world !

Your maps are always spectacular examples of atlas-style fictional maps! This time I have to appreciate that it's a map of a river and its drainage basin. There is something marvelous in drainage basins if you ask me.
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Splendid and impressive as always, Vorrop' ! I admire all the work on your world !
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Meton View Post
    Your maps are always spectacular examples of atlas-style fictional maps! This time I have to appreciate that it's a map of a river and its drainage basin. There is something marvelous in drainage basins if you ask me.
    Yeah, you don't often see maps about drainage basins and watersheds, and was very keen on making one for one of the major rivers in the setting.