Thread: Hi all, I'm new

Post Hi all, I'm new

Hi Everyone

I've just joined the cartographers guild. I started out in cartography for mapping my DnD campaign which I ran a few years ago and I enjoyed it enough that I now do map drawing as a hobby for it's own sake. I'm also considering getting into commission work. I've recently left my last job as a software engineer to be a stay at home Dad for a while and I'm keen to try some mapping work on the side.

I do all my mapping with physical materials; paper, markers, and colouring pencils mostly. I'm keen to have a go at working with fountain pens at some point although this is currently a bit cost prohibitive for me. I've also been getting interested in calligraphy as I think my lettering is probably the weakest aspect of my maps at the moment. I've done a collection of both city and larger regional maps to date.

Look out for some of my work on the forums over the next few days and weeks. I'm looking forward to getting to know the community a bit better as it seems very friendly and supportive.

W Minish

Blog Entries

Welcome to the guild. That sounds interesting and look forward to seeing your work.

Do check out the sticky post for requesting a commission and I would urge you to generate an album and selection of your previous work on the guild to show your style and range and take a couple of unpaid of low paid commissions to build confidence both for yourself and for people to engage your services.

We are very supportive and have a very pleasant community here. Check out the pen and paper section, ask questions about fountain pens and calligraphy and post your maps there or in the finished maps section as you see fit. Have a go at the monthly challenge and get a few silver or gold compasses and then you will be seen as a very competent artist which will help you to get commissions.

Thanks for that advice Redrobes, I'll be sure to do all of that.

I'm just preparing a post of my most recent town map for the pen and paper forum, I hope you enjoy it.