Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollace, Isometric city map

Wip Hollace, Isometric city map

Hi Everyone

An Isometric style map has been something that I have been wanting to try for a while now. I had a little bit of a go at it for my last map "The Fallen Lands" but only for settlement markers on a region map. This time I'm going to have a go at a full city map in isometric and I've decided to do a map of the city of Hollace from a DnD campaign I ran a while ago (Hollace is one of the southern cities on my "Tulence area map").

Below is my original map of Hollace, this was one of my very early maps and is certainly earlier than any map I have previously shown on the forums. I was pretty happy with it at the time but I've come a long way since then so I thought it would be a good subject for a redo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HollaceOrigional.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	127871

Below is the current progress on my new map, just the border has been inked in at this stage but I've pencilled in all the detail (although only some of it is visible on the scan).

Name:	Progress1.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	804.4 KB 
ID:	127872
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

That looks like a great starting point, and an excellent border. I'm looking forward to seeing the map take shape.

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    That looks like a great starting point, and an excellent border. I'm looking forward to seeing the map take shape.
    Thanks josher, I am very pleased with how the border came out on this one. I redrew the faces of each of the figures at the top multiple times before they came out looking the way I wanted.

Here is the latest update, I've started inking in the body of the map. It's definitely very slow going though, to get to this point was several hours work since the last scan.

Name:	Progress2.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	127880
    Last edited by wminish; 01-21-2021 at 09:38 PM.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    It's definitely very slow going though, to get to this point was several hours work since the last scan.
    I feel your pain, mine follow the same trend.

A big second on the border though, excellent work. The caricatures are unique, giving off a hard gothic vibe, almost like gargoyles.

I'd love to see something a bit toned down color saturation wise for this one. Not that your previous color choices are egregious, mind you.

One tiny critique, if you will. The small draw bridge over the river looks geometrically odd, though finding words for exactly how remains elusive, something with the posts. I honestly think the bridge sits too high compared to everything else on the rivers edge as well, but some confirmation on that from others would be helpful, my brain is mush after 30 hours between two jobs in 3 days. Bedtime.

IR

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I feel your pain, mine follow the same trend.

A big second on the border though, excellent work. The caricatures are unique, giving off a hard gothic vibe, almost like gargoyles.

I'd love to see something a bit toned down color saturation wise for this one. Not that your previous color choices are egregious, mind you.

One tiny critique, if you will. The small draw bridge over the river looks geometrically odd, though finding words for exactly how remains elusive, something with the posts. I honestly think the bridge sits too high compared to everything else on the rivers edge as well, but some confirmation on that from others would be helpful, my brain is mush after 30 hours between two jobs in 3 days. Bedtime.

IR
    Hi Adfor, thanks for the kind words about the caricatures, I'm really pleased with the way they turned out.

I think I can see what you are saying about the bridge on the previous progress image. Hopefully, it will look a lot more grounded in the scene and to scale once I add in more of the detail around it, it is kind of floating in space at the moment especially at one end.

In terms of the colour palette, were there certain colours that I usually use that you thought were a bit oversaturated or is it just that I generally use quite saturated colours. I will need to resupply with some colouring pencils for this one as my trusty medium green that I generally use for the ground colour is pretty much spent after my last map. I am kind of limited in the palette I use by the range of pencils I have available, I've tried some blending in the past but in general this only really works in small areas.

Name:	IMG_20210123_100428_2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	127918

In general though, the feedback on colour is quite helpful. I probably do tend to go for a very saturated look as, since I'm mildly red/green colour blind, this looks much better to my eye.

Anyway, here is the latest update. I put in a few more hours work with the inking in, mainly in the city itself.

Name:	Progress3.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	127919

That's coming along really well. I like the fountain.

I don't have any issue with the bridge; it does give me a sense that the river banks are pretty steep. I think you're right in that it will look better when there's more ink on the eastern bank to ground it - so long as the banks don't suddenly become more shallow!

Wip

Here is the latest update. Most of the city is now done and I go another large chunk of the countryside done as well, I imagine it will only be another day to finish the inking in process.

Name:	Progress4.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	127972

Wip

Here is the completed black and white image, the colouring is now well underway as well so I'll post the finished product when that is done.

Name:	Progress5.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	128016

It turned out splendid. Though I gotta say, there's a portion of the wall on south that's missing its 3rd dimension. Sorry, I'm crazy perfectionist about that stuff.

IR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast