Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oct/Nov 20 Lite Challenge: Map a Fairy tale

Default Oct/Nov 20 Lite Challenge: Map a Fairy tale

I have been moderating the Lite Challenge for almost 7 years and this month I have no idea what to run so I found the very first one I did and I am going to copy it here.

Oct/Nov 20 Lite Challenge: Map a Fairy tale

Your mission is to create a map that is based on a fairytale or children's storybook. It could be a map of Pocahontas' village, Treasure Island or Wendy's house. The theme and type of map is entirely up to you, but each entry MUST be based on a Fairytale or children's book.

Now, a word of CAUTION. This is a theme that could easily cross the copyright line. Your map MUST BE ORIGINAL. You cannot make a map based on a map or image from a book or even worse a movie. Even if you drew it from scratch, if you used their image as a basis for yours you have crossed the line. You can use a written or verbal description as the basis of your map, but not an image. To be safe, pick a topic where there is no map or picture already out there, or make yours so different that there is no resemblance at all. The whole point of this is to be ORIGINAL and CREATIVE isn't it.
    I do not want to be the copyright police so please choose wisely. ( And to be safe, I would stay away from Disney stuff altogether, I hear they get nasty. )

Please do remember to title each thread: Oct/Nov 2020 Lite Challenge: < your title here >

Also remember to preface each image you want to show up in the thumbnail scraper with: ### Latest WIP ### (If you don't, your map won't show up for the voters at voting time, which might hurt your chances. )
    Try using the WIP Icon to make it nice and easy.
    If you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

The challenge will end on or about the 14th of November, after which we'll have 3 days of voting. The winner of this month's challenge will receive, appropriately enough, a circular silver compass, demonstrating his or her all-around coolness.

DEADLINE: End of day, November 14th

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started on or after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished, unless you start over from scratch.
    Last edited by Bogie; 10-20-2020 at 01:34 AM.

For the curious, in Feb 2019 when this challenge was last run, these were the top three.

#3- https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post396689 The Seal Woman
    #2- https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post396719 Neverland
    #1- https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post396701 East of the Sun and West of the Moon

None of these people still participate on the guild or ever returned to win a second compass.
    Last edited by Tiana; 10-20-2020 at 08:17 PM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Thank you Bogie for keeping up the challenges. I love them.
    As i just saw this, i was about to run to my drawing table to map "the story of ferdinand". But, damn, i got a golden compass.

Why do you emphasize the copyright aspect so much? It's not like (or at least, not likely that) we are going to make money off our artwork and just posting it for fun should be harmless. And even if ****ing disney should notice, what are they going to do? Sue me in another country? (europe) Track down my IP? It's not like I have given any identifying credentials about myself on this forum and there's no money made off of me either.
    Could it be that the Cartographers guild is not allowed to host such pictures and you're asking us not to post copyrighted content to protect yourselves rather than us? That would make more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexikorn View Post
    Why do you emphasize the copyright aspect so much?
    It's because copyright issues are and continue to be a headache for all web sites, especially those based in the USA. Copyright holders must take legal action when copyrighted works are reported as misused (in the legal sense) or lose their copyrights. Failure of the web site to take action by at least removing the work when notified makes the web site an accomplice as well as having a whole second set of legal problems. Plus, there is the reputation of a web site and its associated trust for all of the artists involved. Based on experience, nobody who makes money at the craft seems to want to see their stuff used without permission.

In the long run, it's simpler for everyone (site owner and users alike) if the rules are made clear up front and enforced. That's especially true with a general topic that has had giant corporations grabbing public-domain stories, making an expression of those stories, and then putting enough marketing behind those expressions to make them the most commonly recognized versions of the stories. For example, a map of the story of the Snow Queen is just fine, but a map of a place named Arendelle with a silly-looking snowman in the corner and the word "Frozen" across the bottom in a specific font style clearly wouldn't be.

I would rather not see an endless army of gray drones with briefcases descend on us here. After all, a Guild is a place for price-fixing and suppressing the little guy, not a place for open warfare with larger criminal groups.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    For example, a map of the story of the Snow Queen is just fine, but a map of a place named Arendelle with a silly-looking snowman in the corner and the word "Frozen" across the bottom in a specific font style clearly wouldn't be.
    Only if you were selling it (though I would be careful about the 'specific font' and definitely not do that).

This is known as "fanart", ya'll. People do it constantly. When big guys like Disney get mad, it's not because someone drew a non-profit piece of fanart that gets 300 views on a tiny website. It's because they put it for sale as a print, a teeshirt, and on a mug, and in Artist Alley and that was their mistake. Disney doesn't care that there are 20000000000 fan lionsonas on DeviantArt, but they REALLY care if you sell art of their IP, and indeed, I have heard of cases of them getting nasty... to people whose art was for sale.

Might I point out a very recent Golden Compass challenge was to map a cartoon. Ei: draw a fanart map. So there's even a split in opinion among the moderators who run these challenges on the value of fanart.

But, it is the rules of this challenge. Draw a non-movie fairy tale! Come on, be creative! I was thinking of mapping the Princess and the Pea and from where all of the mattresses were acquired to return later on.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    For the curious, in Feb 2009, these were the top three.

#3- https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post396689 The Seal Woman
    #2- https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post396719 Neverland
    #1- https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post396701 East of the Sun and West of the Moon

None of these people still participate on the guild or ever returned to win a second compass.
    Wait. That was only 2019 right? Pretty sure it was because I did Skull Rock. I really liked that map. I am going to redo, now that I have learned so much over the last year. Not for this challenge but for a larger battlemap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    Wait. That was only 2019 right? Pretty sure it was because I did Skull Rock. I really liked that map. I am going to redo, now that I have learned so much over the last year. Not for this challenge but for a larger battlemap.
    Oops, yes, that was a typo!

I am sorry if the copyright issue is a hot topic. Laws and opinions vary, but it is better to be careful than sorry. The Guild has very limited resources and even a minor incident and we could lose this place we enjoy so much. As small as the risk is, it is not worth it.
    At one time DundJinni Forums was the second largest RPG related website on the entire internet. All it took was an attack by spammers and now it is a ghost-town. Yes, that is a completely different issue, but it shows how fragile these small websites can be.

So please enjoy what we do, and have fun, just be careful. ( Don't I sound like an Old Fart? I am. )

Better to sound like an old fart than to smell like one.

Wholly agree with the copyright issue. Even when it is not for profit fanart (or fan fiction for that matter) it is still, technically speaking, copyright infringement. Admittedly, the chances of something going terribly wrong here at the guild might be slim, but there are some "entities" out there who very aggressively pursue anything they see as infringing on their copyright.

If I have a chance, maybe I will dig through some native american folklore and see if I can come up with something.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast