Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oct/Nov 20 Lite Challenge: Map a Fairy tale

Copyright has been an issue for a long while and it's been much more contentious with the rise of the internet. Some jurisdictions have draconian copyright laws and some have effectively no enforcement for what whatever laws they might have.

Copyright enforcement is largely judged by a court system with jurisdiction for the alleged infringement. Defending against any accusation of infringement is expensive and more than one web site has shut down entirely after a cease and desist notice from a lawyer. Any web site with a revenue stream makes a target for lawyers eager to bill their hourly rate. Even just fanart ones with some ads. It's unlikely that most fanart will attract legal attention, but it might. Better to be safe than sorry.

Mexikorn is right to be upset, as well as Hans Christian Anderson would be offended that his beautiful rich storys are distorted to obscene flat entertainment. And what would the Brothers Grimm think?
    And waldronate, Bogie and the others are right to make us stay away as far as possible from Disney related themes.

@greason Wolfe: I would love to see that.

Disney does not own Snow White, Cinderella, or Beauty and the Beast. They do own their own particular realization of those stories. As long as you aren't blatantly copying the Disney movie version (or someone else's specific work), there's nothing to worry about. Actual films have been done with the same public domain sources that Disney mines. There's sensible respect for copyright and then there is paranoia. Also, this place has plenty of very derivative work already, especially when it comes to reworking the Lord of the Rings map.

Nonetheless, Bogie has posted the guidelines for this challenge, so basing off existing maps or art is out this time around. I can see no objection to this as a challenge restriction.

So, I think I have my folk/fairy tale, now I just gotta find some time. A thing I seem to have so little of these days.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

OK, we have some nice maps. Last minute warning, I will be starting the voting some time after midnight tonight, roughly 11 hours from now.
    Time to finish up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12