Thread: Transceiver Tower Guidebook

Default Transceiver Tower Guidebook

On the extrasolar colony planet Mondvert, Transceiver Tower is an independent city-state at the site of the original colonists' communications tower. This is meant to be the map in a tourist guidebook put out by the Transceiver Tower civic authorities:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TransceiverTowerGuidebook.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	5.27 MB 
ID:	125742

The culture on this planet started with 8000 people on an ark ship, and this map is from ~300 years after the original landing, at which point this city-state has a population of about 10,000.

It's all with Copic Multiliners and a Pigma brush pen in my sketchbook. I decided to lean into the black-and-white-bars from my original Mondvert maps (links above) - which were of course inspired by US National Park maps. It was good practice for lettering and plotting out how I was going to distinguish different kinds of information in just black and white. Also, I think this might be my first real city map on the Guild?!

I could spend some extra work smoothing out the black shading, but I know I'm never going to get to it. So, you all get to enjoy my map now!

Blog Entries

Thats nice and like how you can have a sketchbook for your world. If it were digital then you could have just used the colour range clamp curve thing and got the computer to clamp all the black to a solid colour. But the pen effect is nice.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

That looks great! I like how you did not need to draw in the roads as the houses form the framework for them. It allows the map to stay really clean. Excellent!

Thanks!

Arimel, that was kind of a serendipitous discovery as I went - I started laying out all the blocks and buildings to figure out where to draw the roads, and then realized that I didn't need to add anything. It fits nicely with the minimal style (and meant I didn't have to come up with yet another style of black line).