Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October 2020 Challenge: Grave of the Damned

Guild Artisan

Default October 2020 Challenge: Grave of the Damned

I failed miserably creating a workable texture and landscape for the Lite Swamp challenge a few weeks back, but thought I would give this challenge a go.

I really like the format and the textures, although I am not 100% sold on the scale, sometimes I think it still looks like the map should be larger than 18x18 or 90feet by 90 feet. I am not sure if its the scale of the textures, or the landscape maybe too steep. Or it could just be me.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GraveOfTheDamned.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	874.2 KB 
ID:	125560

Still working on the tree. Thinking the branches could be thicker, and a few less. I need to litter the ground with dead and decaying leaves. Working on an Iron fence and gate to enclose the top of the little rise. And also need to either create a grave or tomb to finish it off.
    Last edited by Kier; 10-21-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: WIP tag

Blog Entries

I like the textures very much too. For scale it seems plausible to me. That tree could be scaled correctly for the 90x90 but it would be a small to medium sized tree. If the tree were supposed to be larger then I think you could just change the grid and it would still look perfectly plausible at a smaller scale (wider area). Its a very playable space there too and I guess you could reuse it for several kinds of encounter in a role play. A tomb would look perfect there too. Perhaps an entrance to a sprawling dungeon...

Edit... dont forget your wip tag
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-21-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I like the textures very much too. For scale it seems plausible to me. That tree could be scaled correctly for the 90x90 but it would be a small to medium sized tree. If the tree were supposed to be larger then I think you could just change the grid and it would still look perfectly plausible at a smaller scale (wider area). Its a very playable space there too and I guess you could reuse it for several kinds of encounter in a role play. A tomb would look perfect there too. Perhaps an entrance to a sprawling dungeon...

Edit... dont forget your wip tag
    Thanks. Glad you like the terrain. Good thoughts on the tree.

The tomb is a work in progress for sure, not sure if I want one of those small building type tombs, say 15x20 feet with a cross on top. Or a more open one one with steps leading down into the earth. Will see how it goes over the next week.

And thanks for the headsup on the WIP.

I think the tree's leaves are too large for a larger scale map... the texture is great to me, I love the stone circle.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    I think the tree's leaves are too large for a larger scale map... the texture is great to me, I love the stone circle.
    Thank you. This was only like the 10th tree render of the day, lol. I can't seem to get it yet. You might be right with the large leaves. I do find that I like larger leaves when I only have few left on it. And of course with rendering the top leaves are always bigger than the lower ones, so I might need to adjust that ratio as well.

Thanks again.

Guild Artisan

A small update?
    I don't know. It is slow going. I like the top of the tomb, part with the cross.

Not sold on the entry way below yet. Walls are a little forced and too rigid looking for my liking. I might shorten the stairs going down as well, having about half of them, steeper and disappearing beneath the Cross Slab. I was originally going to go with a full flight and reinforced door, but think it is stretching too long on the map. Still working away on it.

I adding a wrought Iron fence at one point, but it looked wrong on such a small map.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Grave5a.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	868.9 KB 
ID:	125615

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

I quite like the stairs. Maybe let the top step extend a bit more onto the grass. Good work so far

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    I quite like the stairs. Maybe let the top step extend a bit more onto the grass. Good work so far
    Thanks, XCali. Appreciate it.

I kept the actual stairs but redid the entry way so its more "Organic" maybe. Exposed some more rock around the edges, cracked it up a bit, drawing it back into the grass a bit. Pulled in a rusted metal portcullis from one my Endless Dungeon maps. I think it works well here. Also rubbled up the terrain a bit(Although, It needs a bit of cleaning up still.)

Need to work on a couple overlays of leaves to blend into the grass, not to deep but need some blown about.

Probably will cut in a slightly faded path up to the tomb as well.

Anyways, as always, let me know your thoughts.

Edited: Just so so I could say "a bit" one more time.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Grave5c.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	844.9 KB 
ID:	125618

Guild Artisan

Brought some leaves in. Tried to get them fade into the ground a bit. Not sure if I succeeded or not, still kind of blends in with the leaves still on the tree.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Grave5e.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	847.5 KB 
ID:	125624

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

I definitely approve of your changes to the entry way. It looks real nice! Doing top down stairs has never been easy for me, so well done for pulling it off this well.

I would suggest you tweak the leaves you added in your latest post. They are almost, or are the same size as the leaves still on the tree. That breaks the illusion a bit of a tree that is standing over this area and strangely, they feel like they are floating in some places. My suggestion, resize the ground leaves a bit smaller. And if it still looks out of place, make them a little bit fewer. I hope that makes sense.

Btw, I adore the land texture you have going for this map. Really nice stuff.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast