Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ragnarok

Post i am working on a similar story and world

but only few humans are aspiring to godhood...

but basically what other folks have said... earthquakes, shifting of land, dead areas, deserts, ice caps, crazy weather, etc....

my big challenge is to make 2 world maps -- one pre and one post cataclysm...

and to imagine how nations change, fall, or emerge...

phil

I thought about that route, but I'm thinking that would be a momentous undertaking.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Hey you're creating an entire world from scratch (so to speak), it doesn't get much more momentous.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I imagine a godswar like this would impact all the planes of reality in your setting, but perhaps the apocalyptic damage would be confined to the actual “battlefield” regions.

The loss of the gods, though, could cause wider effects depending on what portfolio aspects the dead gods controlled. The loss of a nature deity, for example, could cause all plant life to suddenly develop into dense jungles of carnivorous vegetation that grows unchecked across the landscape consuming everything before it. The loss of a sky god could create hurricanes of erupting gases and flames to relentlessly sweep across the land.

This way you could create some truly fantasy terrain mixed with the apocalyptic ruin of the battlegrounds. What do the survivors do? Hide in the blasted and ruined landscape with no resources or water, or attempt the journey through the firestorms and brave the dangers of the living jungles where they might find food?

I’m sure plenty of great ideas will emerge from this thread.

DMG

Indeed they should. I'm currently trying the method of worldbuild -> destroy -> reworldbuild, but all I have right now is a highly rough, undetailed map of the initial world that I'm working on. Still gathering ideas and such for now. Eventually something will come of this, hopefully.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12