Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1920 Europa - Uchronia

Wip 1920 Europa - Uchronia

Hi Guild members,

I'm drawing map since 6 month now, and I basicelly only follow tuto's, advices or try to map like some of other cartographers (most of them are in this guid, big thanks to all of you)

Now I feel it's time to try my first big project.

It's an European alternative history I'm currently Creating as I draw it. My objectiv is to really take my time and draw this as best as I can.

As always, please feel free to give advice and feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201102_130454.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	125872

This is my frame (A2 size) and small maps I use as references.

Name:	IMG_20201104_115425.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	125873

First nation design:

CELTIC LEAGUE

After the crash of the crown in 1902, The Celtic league seized the opportunity of a weak England and complicated European diplomacy to gain independence.

As a federation, the Celtic league has no leader but an assembly of elected officials from the 6 provinces, they meet in Dublin, the capital.
    Howard Grubb's work (he had the world's largest known telescope built on Parliament square) and the will of the league make it one of the most scientific nation. The industry is also functioning well and the fast way to America is comming with the construction of the steamer Celtitanic which began in early 1910.

The Celtic League retains old Druidic principles and decides to let the forest grow instead of agriculture. They then became very dependent on the import of food from other European powers.

Seeing this made me wonder if I should draw maps by hand... Surely seems like an enjoyable and rewarding thing to do, me being accustomed to digital mapmaking.

Aanyways, it looks great so far. I specially like the typography and the small icons/drawings! I'm looking forward to see your progress.

I really like what you did with Dublin ! very cool

Quote Originally Posted by Skalimoi View Post
    Seeing this made me wonder if I should draw maps by hand... Surely seems like an enjoyable and rewarding thing to do, me being accustomed to digital mapmaking.

Aanyways, it looks great so far. I specially like the typography and the small icons/drawings! I'm looking forward to see your progress.
    I can assure it's very rewarding and really peacefull to do. I can't compare, as I never tried digital work.
    Thank you for supporting, the progress will come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by _PAM_ View Post
    I really like what you did with Dublin ! very cool
    Thank you!

Progress:

Name:	IMG_20201107_124547_009.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	125999

Second nation:

REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE

The French Republic is the foster mother of Europe. The country produces most of the European cereal, thanks to the “Société des machine Agricole à Vapeur” (Steam Mechanism Agriculture Society) created in St Etienne in 1885. They build remarkable machines which bring a new high yield agriculture.
    These mechanisms are well supplied by the coal mines in the north, especially since the split of Belgium and the realization of Wallonia in the republic.
    The French are also believing that it is possible to fly with something heavier than air, as evidenced by the multiple attempts of Louis Blériot who tries to fly the "steamplan".

Is that a something like a spider machine? Looks awesome so far!

Yes, it's actualy more like a ant machine as it has only 6 legs. It's a biomimetism industrie. Thanks you, more to come soon.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

I can't wait to see this finished in all it's glory! Stunning, neat and crisp linework, and the lore adds a lot to bring these places alive.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

WIP:

Name:	Reino volador de España.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	126073

Third nation:

REINO VOLADOR DE ESPAÑA

After the colony loss in 1898, the country was plagued by famine (agrarian crisis) and epidemics (Spanish flu). Permanent social disputes are the cause of a behind the time industry.

The declining Monarchy, associated with the high Spanish clergy, brought together the learned elites (engineers, architects, etc.) to flee popular revolts.

Led by Gaudi, Scientists created aerial cities (Madrid, Barcelona, and Sevilla) supported by huge solar hot air balloons: Hot air from panels is re-injected into the balloon and maintains a constant altitude.

The navigators drive the cities on the territory, and each flying city manage one of the 3 districts, created by the new administrative division.
    In 1912, the nation took the official name of “Spain flying crown”.

Sorry for the pictures quality, I don't have anything better than my phone right now...

Hope you'll enjoy it!

WIP:

Name:	Nordisk Unionen.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	126197

New nation:

NORDISK UNIONEN

At a time when the separatist revolts weaken the great empires, the three Nordic countries of Denmark, Sweden and Norway have forgotten their old quarrels and have come together for the first time since the union of Kalmar. The three crowns united under a parliamentary monarchy, sitting in Kobenhavn.

First real democracy in Europe, the Union made major social advances in 1900: women's right vote, enhanced education, free access to care.
    The Nordic Union is also the first nation to harness gas for domestic use: heating, cooking, and lighting. A giant pipeline from Trondheim brings gas from the Norwegian high seas’ extraction plant.

The complicated diplomatic relations with the German Empire prompted the union to build a huge wall over Jutland to be safe from any land invasion.

I guess my english level is a bit low to try text like this, but I try anyway. If one very good english speaker want to help me to correct the text, I'm up to!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast