Thread: Regional Steampunk Map (Kingdom of Faenar)

Guild Novice

Wip Regional Steampunk Map (Kingdom of Faenar)

I've decided to start working on a regional steampunk, gothic fantasy map that I was working on last year. I have a few end goals for this project.

1. will be a semi isometric region map with detailed representations of the three capital cities of each region accompanied by decorative elements that suit the setting.

2. Once I have fully cemented and developed the region I plan on burning the map into the wood to decorate a tabletop RPG screen I'm building.

June 27 2019
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day2World.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	697.1 KB 
ID:	126316
    The initial incarnation of the map built on top of a generated landmass (the name of the generator escapes me now) that had been passed through a few filters. my favorite part of this map is how sharp the mountains that cut this region off from the rest of the world appear. I have been unable to reproduce this effect in subsequent iterations of this map

Sept 22 2019

Name:	Western Map.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	126317
    A hand-drawn version of the map using ink and Copic markers. the labels were added after the map was photographed filling out more of the major place locations.

Dec 02 2019

Name:	Western Map_Vector.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	510.1 KB 
ID:	126314
    Using the hand-drawn map as a base I've begun digitizing the map into affinity designer. This map is incomplete and I'll be experimenting with various cartographic styles

My to-do list:
    • Correct the mountain range and blend it more seamlessly into the remainder of the map
    • Create symbology/decide on a style for Cut and standing forests, marshland, Hills and prairie
    • Indicate spatial warping beyond Jacknife mountains
    • Draw isometric cities for Valay, Arcine, Ilaria, and Osta
    • Correct texture, lighting and colour palate
    • Label Map
    Last edited by Flawed-Menagerie; 11-16-2020 at 03:37 PM. Reason: broken attachments

Guild Novice Guild Supporter

I really like the lines indicating ocean currents.