Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec 2020 Challenge: Tavaroth Throne Room

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Good start ! I love the shadows of the windows on the palace’s floor !
    Thanks, I'm working on new wall shadows and then some larger room shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    This is gonna be a nice throne room .
    Thank you Ilanthar!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Nice work so far! I'm massively digging the map on the table. A map within a map! Where does it end...?!
    A map within a map in a map? Glad you like it!

Tiana:
    I am mostly finished with the 2 bathrooms and now starting with the locker room.
    Want to make sure I understand what each piece is. Also, is there a specific color preference for this room?
    I am assuming that along the north wall is lockers
    The east & west walls are chairs
    and in the center is a desk & chair.

Please let me know if that is correct or if they are something else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tianas Throne Room4a.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	316.5 KB 
ID:	126459

One optional change,,, How about an inner door between the locker room and the bathroom where the stool is now?
    Last edited by Bogie; 11-22-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Yes, the north wall is intended to be lock boxes for storage of assorted staff essentials. The decorative chests you earmarked would suffice for that. You certainly can shove the stool off to the side and add a small door into the bathrooms from the locker. Basically, the 'robe closet' is for people who come from outside to ensure they are appropriately dressed and clean to approach the Emperor and/or Empress, and the locker is the same for staff, though for them it also half serves as a conference/meeting/break room too. This room would be an appropriate place to put the battle table too. This room is less concerned about 'looking good'. The chairs might not match or they're just the wicker stools or the stone equivalent of a plank. I imagine that the desk and table may sometimes have all the chairs pulled up for a meeting or a game so they're left there, but other times there might be half a dozen guards doing jumping jacks and they're pushed against the walls. This room is haphazard and never used to impress anyone, just provide a place for staff to change out of dirty or smelly clothing or have a quick conversation. There wouldn't be any weaponry or significant clutter. So, the floor is probably a fairly scuffed stone. Also, there's probably a window with a curtain lined up to the window on the outside of the hall, as this would be considered a non-private space that all staff should be able to peer into and see what's going on.

There are two other rooms. 'Guard Office' has a large desk space used for multiple high ranking employees and bookshelves for case files, reports, etc. It is often and officially used and is in clean order and condition.

"Living Room" may be the most colorful place in the lot, as it's used for entertaining any meetings with people who may be important but from all over the place. In theory. I suspect the staff use it more often than it is actually used for the intended purpose, given as by now the city's intended purpose has fallen apart and it's basically a city-state dictatorship. The items in here are likely nice, as they were once intended to impress governors and councillors, judges and secretaries... In some small way it's a time capsule of the intentions before this yellow reign overtook. Also an appropriate place to stick the game table.

It all looks good to me.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

The Bathroom / Locker room section is all done. Will start on the other section of rooms next.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Tianas Throne Room5.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	126771

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very lively map ! It gives motivation to play games !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Very lively map ! It gives motivation to play games !
    Thanks, that's why I make them!

Oh that's a neat table with the cloth on it. Looks good so far. Of course you can use it in a game, Jo.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

This has been cool to watch develope.

I instantly thought of Gold City from Secret of Mana, which is funny because in the game it's a settlement of only rich people, and everything is made of gold. Royalty, right?

Name:	400px-Secret_of_Mana_map_Gold_City.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	126785

Generally I find this style to be a tich too bold, but the way you make everything very plush and blended really does it justice, well done!

IR

Ah yes, very nice, the person who designed this palace in character would have loved that city, I'm sure... heh. It has nothing to do with wealth though, but that's derailing into way too specific of world building for use on a map.

Lore can get entangling, the nuances are the fun part, but they're often better explained in writing.

IR

Thanks Adfor! That would be so boring if everything was made of gold.

Tiana, is the gray granite floor tile ok or would something else be preferred?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast