Thread: Andalor

Map Andalor

Hey dear fellows !

I don't understand why I missed to post this map, drawn earlier this year. Some of you saw my usual close-ups of it on Instagram, but for some reason I totally forgot to post the full version once done. So, welcome in Andalor ^^
    Once again, I had the pleasure to explore a slightly different style, as the client wanted a touch of color for this novel map, especially on the coat of arms, with some kind of Norse aesthetic for the ornaments. In one word : an extremely pleasant map to draw
    Hope you'll enjoy !

Usual things-to-know :
    - Roughly 26x20cm,
    - Hand made in Photoshop 21 using a Wacom Cintiq Pro 16,
    - Commissionned map for "Relics of the Past" by Petr Křķ˛ (@vralis).

"Andalor" - 2020 - All rights reserved
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Andalor_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	623.8 KB 
ID:	126366

Prints available here

Delicate and pretty as always. I really enjoy the colours here, think you pulled it off well!
    I will have to say, the border hugging the map so very, very closely does make me feel a tad claustrophofic I would maybe have left a bit more breathing room betwwen the coastlines and the boder.

The border itself is extremely nice though - a simple idea but works well. I always like your title scrolls too!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Lovely! I particularly like the subtle variations in how you indicated deserts, plains, cracked land, and so on. And the forests are so lush.

As always, love the overall look and feel of the map.
    And as almost always, I lament the low resolution of it. I want to look at the glorious details, imagine stories and histories that happen there etc etc ... you get the gist, you're a map lover too, after all
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Gorgeous work, once again! I love your play with colours, putting in light some elements without neglecting the others.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Nice job ! I love the coat of arms ! They are very well drawn and you made a very good choice of colors so they are bright but they match the colors of the map !

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Okay, this is going right in my inspiration folder. Awesome piece Misty, I just love your style!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Delicate and pretty as always. I really enjoy the colours here, think you pulled it off well!
    I will have to say, the border hugging the map so very, very closely does make me feel a tad claustrophofic I would maybe have left a bit more breathing room betwwen the coastlines and the boder.

The border itself is extremely nice though - a simple idea but works well. I always like your title scrolls too!
    I hear you, Kell' ! The challenge here was the technical constraints : a very small novel map for a lot of detailed elements : lot of labels often close to eachothers, tiny countries, and the client asking elaborate norse knotwork for the frame, and all the coat of arms. In order to have everything fit the small map, I needed to cheat a bit and increased as much as possible the continent, even if it has to go over the border. It's maybe not something I would have done that extremely if the size constraint wasn't here, but sometimes, you have no choice ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Lovely! I particularly like the subtle variations in how you indicated deserts, plains, cracked land, and so on. And the forests are so lush.
    Thanks Jshoer ! I'm having some pleasure working on more detailed lineart on my most recent maps, and explore the different biomes

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    As always, love the overall look and feel of the map.
    And as almost always, I lament the low resolution of it. I want to look at the glorious details, imagine stories and histories that happen there etc etc ... you get the gist, you're a map lover too, after all
    Haha, thanks Eilathen ! Sadly, as often, the big resolution is for my client only, but if you have a look to my Instagram, there's a lot of close-up of the most interesting parts of the map

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Gorgeous work, once again! I love your play with colours, putting in light some elements without neglecting the others.
    Color was extremely great to work on for this map. Just small very vibrant touches, as on this reference pic provided by the client

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Nice job ! I love the coat of arms ! They are very well drawn and you made a very good choice of colors so they are bright but they match the colors of the map !
    Thanks Jo, 'glad you loven them !! They were definitely my favorite part to draw on the map, I just wish I had more space to make them more detailed ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Okay, this is going right in my inspiration folder. Awesome piece Misty, I just love your style!
    My pleasure, Caenwyr !! ^^

Beautiful Map Bee!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Beautiful Map Bee!
    Thanks so much, Bogie !! ^^