Thread: Photoshop's "Stroke Layer Style" in GIMP?

Question Photoshop's "Stroke Layer Style" in GIMP?

Does it exist? Or is there something similar? I can achieve the effects of it in GIMP using stroke path, but it takes a lot more work with growing /shrinking the selection, adding multiple filters, etc.

Reason for asking: I am working on converting a tutorial from Photoshop to GIMP and just want to make it as close as I can manage with my current skills. So far I have been able to convert everything but it often is different in GIMP, not generally a lot more difficult but this one just takes a lot more steps to do compared to PS.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I almost posted this in How Do I, but I didn't think it was a good fit there, but please move if you think it should go there.

- Ernie

It has been so long since I used GIMP I honestly can't recall. I would however be surprised if it didn't.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

If you have any tips for where to look I would gladly do so. I poked around in the layer properties and the layer mask but didn't see anything even close.

- E

Well, if Gimp doesn't have basically a direct match for the Photoshop stroke effect like I said, I'd be surprised however, failing in that you might try the "find edges" and play with that, it can do a similar effect albeit imo more artistic.

Either way, I seem to remember using the "find edges" to strengthen some of the linework. Just fiddle with it and you can get a more or less black outline.

I can barely remember but there might also be a "stroke selection" or something similar under the "Path" options.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 11-21-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Well, if Gimp doesn't have basically a direct match for the Photoshop stroke effect like I said, I'd be surprised however, failing in that you might try the "find edges" and play with that, it can do a similar effect albeit imo more artistic.

Either way, I seem to remember using the "find edges" to strengthen some of the linework. Just fiddle with it and you can get a more or less black outline.

I can barely remember but there might also be a "stroke selection" or something similar under the "Path" options.
    There are for sure ways to accomplish the same thing, just not as quickly. Here is an example from Lerb's tutorial:

"Just make a new layer with a 2px black (outside) Stroke Layer Style and a 3px Drop Shadow. Then add a black Inner Glow with Blend Mode set to Normal, Opacity 100%, Choke 10%, Size 3px, Source: Centre, Range 17%. Take the Line Tool (U) with a width of 4-6px and just draw in small lines."

So basically with a few settings you can draw chimneys with a single stroke. To do this in GIMP would require building a script to do it to a selection after each one is drawn and selected. If I do it by hand, I could draw in all the lines, Alpha to Selection, Stroke for outer line, shrink selection, change brush, stroke for inner line. Not horrible at all, but still extra steps. Not having PS, I am not sure how much it would scale for larger chimneys.

Basically, just looking to reduce mouse clicks. Once I get my tablet it may not be as big an issue.

- E