Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec 2020 Challenge: The Kingdom of Valmadar

Thanks again for the support everyone !

@Kellerica : I hope it won't be too distracting in the end. Colors should give a different focus on the map.

Well, I just did a bit more of shading and lands. The Kingdom of Valdamar proper is mostly done now (for the drawings & shadings) and most of its eastern neighbour.
    For the southern one, I was thinking - from east to west) plateaus & steppes then jungles (after the mountain range), then desert (after the gulf). If you have better ideas, please, don't hesitate Joël!
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valmadar.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	6.40 MB 
ID:	127035

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Hello !
    What a job! The details are very impressive!

As far as the southern kingdom is concerned, I have no objections to your plan. Just maybe one question? Plateau and steppes seem to me to connect with the geography of the kingdom of Valmadar, but is a jungle next to a desert common? (I'm really asking the question, I'm not a geographer) As far as I'm concerned, I won't be disappointed if you go directly from steppe to plateau, to desert, without jungle. But maybe the jungle was an important element concerning worldbuilding? I'm very open to the question in any case.

Some tests. I'm trying to get the base drawing/shading done...

Well, desert might be an option (I'm no geographer as well), I was just fearing a vast empty space would look weird... and my dune test is not so convincing.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	17 
Size:	6.44 MB 
ID:	127052

Might try again the dunes with more space between each one.

Coat of arms of the neighbours added.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	42 
Size:	6.49 MB 
ID:	127055

The coats of arms are very, very well drawn and their symbolism seems to me to be quite appropriate!
    As far as the dunes are concerned, in my opinion you can rather choose the ones that are spaced out (or even space them out even more?).
    But as MistyBee says it so well, all cartographers have this fear of emptiness...
    In any case, every time I come across your map, I am dazzled by the quality of the line and the way you detail the elements. Very nice work!

edit : very nice ship, also !!!!
    Last edited by - JO -; 12-13-2020 at 03:49 AM.

Thanks again!

Well, cactus were to hard to draw at this scale, so I did a few palm trees (I will probably add a few more) .
    Did another ship (from the southern kindgdom). And still working on the land. It should be done in the next days I suppose (then : colours!!!)
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	27 
Size:	6.58 MB 
ID:	127086

Brilliant. That border is so intricate! And even in the thumbnail it is readable. The level of detail is insane. All those different dragons and designs. Let’s gawk at this a couple more hours while I sip my tea.

The desert is perfect! Very good idea, palm trees, it complements the dunes very well.
    I also like the difference in boat style between north and south, very evocative.
    I can't wait to see the colours now that you're talking about it!

Agree, the south ship is nice and the desert looks very good.

Looks better and better at every update, Ilanthar ! I can't wait to see the colors

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast