Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec 2020 Challenge: The Kingdom of Valmadar

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

Dude, this is great! I obviously love the dragon and the little vignettes are superb.

Wow, thanks again for the very kind words and encouragements! I must say I'm kinda relieved you like that key dragon...

Doing the map properly is gonna be a long run, I think... Some more elements. I'm trying to do a more denser forest on the north east, with bigger trees of some sort.
    Also done a few more dragons in the vignettes. Do you find it obvious enough what they're doing? Not sure at all about that.

Depending of the space I'll need for the key and possible explanations, my intent is to do sort of coat of arms for the different regions in the bottom and maybe the two "neighbours" in the corners.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valmadar.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	5.57 MB 
ID:	126824

@ - JO - : Glad you like my idea about my signature (that's gonna be a test near the end...).
    Don't pressure yourself! We still have plenty of time. I'm founding myself working at a faster speed that I thought by doing a bit of it once or twice a day.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

This map is beautiful, it's again and again great work!

Regarding the forests, we can see the difference in the north-east, the forest is denser and seems impenetrable.

For the thumbnails, here's what I understand (from top left, down, then top right, down):
    birth, taming, learning to fly, perilous landings, domestic use, military use, defending territory.

As far as coats of arms are concerned: you know I love it... if you have the space and the desire, don't hesitate to place some.

I have one more suggestion, but it's really up to you to see what you think: I love the line of forts that defend the eastern border of the country, but maybe you could place them a little bit differently, leaning those defenses on the two rivers that run south and north? These rivers are good natural borders and I think there is a certain logic in using them, with the control of the forts, to defend the territory.
    (If it suits you, you can very well "divert" one or the other of the rivers to keep this beautiful arc of circle formed by the forts...).

Keep up this beautiful work, I'm sure it's gonna win an atlas for 2020 !

Well, thanks again ! I'm feeling like a star .

Reassuring too, because you got almost exactly what I wanted to convey. The only difference : the two in the bottom right were supposed to be about learning to fly (fly properly and take-off).
    Excellent suggestion! You're absolutely right. I'm gonna correct those forts. Don't hesitate if you have other ideas or suggestions!

And thanks for the vote of confidence. Pretty sure yours will be in the race as well .

By bottom right, you mean included the one with no dragon yet ? Or the two already drawn ? Because for me, the second on the right show a dragon with some kind of « nacelle » on its back and I assumed it was to carry troops... sorry if I understood wrong... One thing sure : they are very well drawn, even if it’s very difficult to explain dragon actions in one image

Urghh, I meant, bottom left...

And your right for the second on the right.

OK ! So it makes perfect sense and I think I guessed right for almost all of them ?
    The only one which may need explanation is the third down on the right side of the map : the dragon seems in a powerful attitude, so I guessed "defending territory" ?

Awww... I'm obviously totally in love with that border, Ilanthar !!

By - JO -
    The only one which may need explanation is the third down on the right side of the map : the dragon seems in a powerful attitude, so I guessed "defending territory" ?
    Yup, you guessed right. The third one on the right is supposed to be watching/defend the inner lands (watching both sides of the high central mountains where there are the spiny peaks). The fourth (that I just added) is about the same but on the borders, using the forts.
    To make it more easy to understand, I think I'll place "Land of the hatchlings (for example) under the coat of arms, with the same colour gem than the corresponding vignette on the side.

About the forts, the one in the middle that is not close to the river will be either close to a new river or upon a plateau above the forest, I think.

Not much land done today. Some tests about the bottom frame.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valmadar.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	5.91 MB 
ID:	126843

It's quite admirable how you manage to keep coherence between the different elements of the map.
    Coherence also in your line, between things as different as illumination or a forest of fir trees....

The vignettes seem very clear to me and tell the story well. Not sure if you need to add text on the map to explain the differences of the regions as well, but it's up to you to see and find a solution that suits you between well understanding the actions of the dragons and not covering this (very) beautiful map too much with labels and other external elements.
    Maybe one solution would be to put mentions like "hatching region" on the border? maybe just one word, very short? The diamond symbol should be enough to do the job of locating the regions, I think.
    Both solutions seem to me to be quite appropriate.

For the positions of the forts, I think it's better this way... the use of natural barriers seems logical to me, and their arrangement remains harmonious, in my opinion.
    The idea of the high plateau for the last fort also seems good to me, but if you cover this plateau with forest, you're going to have a lot of work to do... Maybe the river is more easy ?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast