Thread: World from Guy Gavriel Kay books

Map World from Guy Gavriel Kay books

Map for fantasy world of one of my most favorite novelist Guy Gavriel Kay (@guygavrielkay). Based on maps by Martin Springett (screenshot from books)

Kay writes lyrical fantasy in a world that has very transparent allusions to the real Medieval history in various periods. His books illustrated with maps of continent very similar to Mediterranean. Unnamed peninsula similar to the Peloponnese looks very different on maps and I do not remember if this somehow explained in novels. I suppose that these changes is just technical, so I've used version from most recent book. I’ve also do not taking into account the historical variability of borders in the East.

This vector map is just fan project for practice purpose. Made in Adobe Illustrator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jad_map_w.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	807.0 KB 
ID:	126514

Textured version with some color accent (just a WIP):

Name:	jad_map_color.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	126850

Updated version:

Name:	map_en.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	794.1 KB 
ID:	130981
    Last edited by Narwen; 08-30-2021 at 09:17 AM. Reason: map updated

I like Guy Gavriel Kay, but I don't remember the maps. Seeing this though I would have to ask Guy: If you are going with a fantasy twist on Europe why not just use a Europe map with different names?

I think it's good work. I'm not sure how I feel about that Morse code coast effect. If I were redoing Guy's map for myself I personally would fix that river in Calysium.

Nice work. I'm a massive GGK fan, and it's great to see some maps inspired by his work posted here.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    If I were redoing Guy's map for myself I personally would fix that river in Calysium.
    Sure. Edited.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Nice work. I'm a massive GGK fan, and it's great to see some maps inspired by his work posted here.
    Thanks!