Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Map of Undirras (commission)

Wow... this map is so appealing. Both version are just blowing. But If I had to chose the one I prefer, I would keep the black & white, it's so neat and clean.
    I'm loooking forward to see the labelling

I love both versions, but oh man... if I opened a book and saw that black & white map on the first page... it would be an instant purchase! It's so far ahead of the typical map you see in fantasy novels that it almost feels wrong to compare them. Awesome work, Caenwyr!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    The colour version pops so much more, will definitely work for click bait.
    I know right! Even a sloppy colour job draws the attention of the casual viewer better than the best greyscale map. So yeah, I guess it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by Veldrin View Post
    Wow... this map is so appealing. Both version are just blowing. But If I had to chose the one I prefer, I would keep the black & white, it's so neat and clean.
    I'm loooking forward to see the labelling
    Oh I'm also looking forward to it! But unfortunately I'm crazy busy lately (what with COVID-related teleworking and two children who are home due to COVID) so it might still take a while. But there's still some progress so stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I love both versions, but oh man... if I opened a book and saw that black & white map on the first page... it would be an instant purchase! It's so far ahead of the typical map you see in fantasy novels that it almost feels wrong to compare them. Awesome work, Caenwyr!
    Gee ChickPea, thanks for your kind words! That definitely is high praise, so I can only hope I can make true on these expectations.

----------------

Alright, as stated progress is slow, but I still wanted to keep this thread somewhat alive so here goes! I added a sigil in the second shield, and a few more ring-shaped insets in the map (I like to call them "ringsets"). I also added a flaming background to the dragon head and removed the glowy eyes. The background will probably change again in the future.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Undirras (16b).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	128443
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Man, the terrain you've come up with for this one is so elaborate, the canyon is amazing. I'm drawing inspiration from this as we speak! *maniacal cackling*

IR

Hey all! So evolution is slow, but there's still progress!

Firstly, as announced in my previous post I redid the flamy bits in the dragon shield. Client wanted actual flames coming from the dragon's mouth and nostrils, which was substantially harder to pull of than I initially thought, especially in greyscale! Fire tends to be bright, but white/light grey flames just didn't work at all. So I inverted their outline and added something of an "ombré" effect to the flame background and client likes it so I'm happy.

I also a redid one of the "ringsets" and added three more. As a bit of a quirk, all of the insets have a different ring around them, each with a different odd number of ornaments: one for the city with the single huge tower, three for the city with the massive three-winged building, five for the island that is actually a turtle (with four legs and one head beneath the waves) and so on. I cheated a bit with the chain: it has fifteen vertically aligned chain links, but that means there's fifteen horizontally aligned once too of course .

Anyhoo, here's the map in its current iteration. Unless client sees something else they'd like to add, I think the inking and shading parts are done, and I can move on to labelling!

Name:	Undirras (18a).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	128819
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Wow! That is stunning. I love that canyon and the flames have come out really well.

Great map! I love the location icons!

Thanks all! Glad you guys seem to like this map, "despite" it being in B&W.

Here's the next stage by the way: labelling! I still need to add a handful here and there (for which I need input from the client), and once that's done, this map is finished!

Name:	Undirras (19a).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	128848
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Love the outcome and the overall style. Thanks for sharing the stages.

It's looking great!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast