Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World Map of Undirras (commission)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

And here's another incremental update. I added another "ringset", and moved some labels around. Also, I took off the names of the kingdoms and replaced them by numbers, and added a tiny legend at the left. Otherwise the map would have looked waaaaay overcrowded.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Undirras (21a).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	129147

Client will now take this version to the publisher and have them make a print proof, so we can flee out any remaining issues (such as illegible labels due to their tiny size). This is exciting!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Hi guys! This thing is super close to finished now. Client informed me that the map would be featured in their book on a two-page spread, so there's going to be a crease down the middle. To compensate for that, I moved around some labels and "ringsets" so everything remains legible even in book form. Here's the image with an overlay of the crease (dark green line) and the zone that will be bent (unless you're one of those monsters who break the spine of a book to flatten out the pages!):

Name:	Undirras (22b).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	129405

And here's the final version without the green overlay:

Name:	Undirras (23a).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	129406

There might be a teeny tiny detail here and that that still needs tweaking, but overall this is pretty much the finished product.

------------------

And then disaster struck!!

I was working with this map and a horrible thing happened! I was giving it its final touches when I accidently kicked over a bucket of multi-colour paint. I watched in horror as it spread all over the map! Oh noes! So now this lovely greyscale thing is completely ruined and covered in yucky colours!

Name:	Undirras (24a).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.08 MB 
ID:	129407

(I'm joking of course. It took me 6 hours of toiling to get this! If only this could be achieved by kicking a bucket )
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Really beautiful work, love love love the colour version, especially the sea. I find the orange of the desert just a tad bit harsh, but that's not a big thing.
    It's not necessary to move the main title over because of the crease?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Here's the image with an overlay of the crease (dark green line) and the zone that will be bent (unless you're one of those monsters who break the spine of a book to flatten out the pages!):
    There are two types of people in this world.

People who use bookmarks

and...

Monsters.

Very slick map. Gorgeous use of colour and texture.

Gorgeous map! Even the grayscale version is really striking. I'd be thrilled if I opened a book and saw this inside.

But.... yeah... I have to confess to being one of those spine-breaking monsters! It's those big fat fantasy tomes... so awkward to hold and read. I have to break the spine in two or three places and wrestle them into submission, you know, all the better to look at the pretty maps... In my defence, I love seeing a book that looks like it's been read and enjoyed multiple times. So what if it looks a little tatty. But, I'll exit this thread now, before I'm hunted down for crimes against humanity...

Do love the map - both versions rock!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Always enjoy your maps Caenwyr.
    I am glad you had the bucked accident. There were some good colours in there
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123