Thread: A problem with names.

Default A problem with names.

I am currently working on a series of maps based on Germany at the start of the 19th Century and have noticed on the map I'm using as a base that several names/words are repeated far to often to be the names of settlements.
    I've tried using things like Google translate but I'm not finding them too useful and my schoolboy German isn't too helpful either. I've got a vague idea of what they mean but I can't quite figure out the context to label them correctly.
    The words in question are:
    "Schaf", which is "sheep",
    "Krug" which is "jug",
    "ziegel" or "brick?"
    "Bohr" or "bore" which could be a well or mine?
    "Hagen" which I've absolutely no clue on.
    I 'm thinking that "Schaf" is intended to be some kind of sheepfold or farm, ziegl a brickworks and krug some sort of inn.
    Has anyone any suggestions for them please? I'd be grateful for any help!

I can't help much, my german is mostly gone many years ago...
    But I think hagen is close to hafen or haven in english and means roughly "port".
    See : Copenhagen, capital of Denmark.

I am german and there a few more in this community. Not sure if i understand the question, though.
    "Hagen" originally means thorn bush, thorny hedge (as a fence also as wall)
    -haag, -hag, -hagen is used all over northern europe, its a very old word which changed its meaning over time and region. "hagebutte" is a rose hip/dog rose.

Krug, you are right, or Dorfkrug is basically every inn or pub in any village. even if they have a different name, the would be called "dorfkrug"

For "Bohr" i really dont know. "bohren" is a verb for to drill. I cant remember if i have ever heard of this as a place, might be a regional thing, though.
    Edit: -born is used quite a bit in northern germany and means exactly this: born - for streams, wind...

"Schaf" -sheep- and any livestock or poultry is likely used for roads, paths, settlements
    "Ziegel" is brick, correct. "Ziege" is goat

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Levtrona; 11-26-2020 at 06:15 AM.

OK, my german is defintely gone .
    Thanks for the clarification, Levtrona!