Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec 2020 Challenge: The Avori Lowlands

you are really taking this to the next level. So great.

Nice! These colors and shapes are really good. Keep up the good work

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

The forest looks really great !
    Your love of watercolours shows.

Thank you very much everyone. I need the motivation right about now, these forests might be the death of me, ha!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201228_162654345.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	127480

Boy-o they are tedious, though. Worth it. The contrast is going to be awesome when it's done, I think. Just have to do sand, grass, and oceans, then I think it'll be done, for the challenge at least.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 12-29-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Yeah it is an exceptional amount of detail in the forests.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

As someone who loves watercolor I have to say I love this.

I haven't been watching this challenge all that closely but I just saw the thumb and had to come say something.

edit: I'm obviously way late to the party and you seem to have it figured out but I'll just add you need to be patient and use many coats while allowing the areas to dry between them. Also, resist the urge to overwork an area - you can only mess with the paper so much before you create mud.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 12-29-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Man, you're brave !!... and it looks great !

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Yeah it is an exceptional amount of detail in the forests.
    They make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    As someone who loves watercolor I have to say I love this.

I haven't been watching this challenge all that closely but I just saw the thumb and had to come say something.

edit: I'm obviously way late to the party and you seem to have it figured out but I'll just add you need to be patient and use many coats while allowing the areas to dry between them. Also, resist the urge to overwork an area - you can only mess with the paper so much before you create mud.
    Good tip, i'll remember that. I've had a few moments like that already, trying to correct something funny seems to do it if you're not quick about it.

I'm stoked you like it, you came all the way here for little ol me? Garsh, I'm flattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Man, you're brave !!... and it looks great !
    Thanks a lot! I've had numerous *eek* moments, but I've already learned a ton about the consistency of watercolors, they sure can be fickle. The approach is everything, it would seem.

Name:	IMG_20201229_185100011.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	127543

These forests really do take some time, they're probably the most arduous of the elements on this so far. Forests are good for that, I think.

Anyhoo, drew some more points of interest, see if you can spot them.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 12-31-2020 at 10:59 PM.

After much, much toil, I have finally gotten this to a finishing point.

Name:	IMG_20201231_223837004.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	127595

First order of business, which I will also request in the main challenge post: Arsheesh, would you be so kind as to allow me to submit a scanned picture of this tomorrow? It got too late for me to get access to a scanner tonight (almost 11pm here as I post this).

What a journey this has been. Watercolors rule. But hot damn I almost had a panic attack doing the oceans, I thought I had royally botched the whole project a few times. Panic painting is a bad idea.

No compass rose, no titles, no border. I left them out because this is going to be but a section of my revisit to this ol world of mine, and to do those on every section would be redundant. Also, a deadline looms, and frankly, I've been at this for a week straight you guys, and I'm glad it's done (no likey pressure to finish).

Did I meet the river quota, Lev?

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 01-01-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Haha, one of the things I love is how when I watch professional watercolorists paint they seem to never panic, they just go with the flow....I hate those guys!!!!! However, I've watched them deal with all sorts of things and it never seems to be an issue so it's almost as if you can't really bomb something unless you over work it. Also, the fact that you can't control everything is one of the reasons I like it. I tend to be a perfectionist when i paint and I think watercolor forces me to let go. In other words, my natural inclination is toward realism but by using watercolor I'm forced to let stuff slide a bit which in the end improves my art (at least theoretically).
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast