Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Nov/Dec 2020 Challenge: The Avori Lowlands

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

That's a beautiful map !
    It certainly deserve a scan...

wow, i will definitly print this.
    It looks so small or do you have huge hands. So many details, everytime i look at it, i find something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Haha, one of the things I love is how when I watch professional watercolorists paint they seem to never panic, they just go with the flow....I hate those guys!!!!! However, I've watched them deal with all sorts of things and it never seems to be an issue so it's almost as if you can't really bomb something unless you over work it. Also, the fact that you can't control everything is one of the reasons I like it. I tend to be a perfectionist when i paint and I think watercolor forces me to let go. In other words, my natural inclination is toward realism but by using watercolor I'm forced to let stuff slide a bit which in the end improves my art (at least theoretically).
    I'm totally a perfectionist, as well, and watercolors definitely threw me for that exact loop. I hope to be that good one day, it just comes with being comfortable after doing it enough. I didn't use very many techniques on this either, just blending and layering is about all. Seems to have worked its charm though.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    That's a beautiful map !
    It certainly deserve a scan...
    Thank you again, JO!

Quote Originally Posted by Levtrona View Post
    wow, i will definitly print this.
    It looks so small or do you have huge hands. So many details, everytime i look at it, i find something new.
    I'm stoked you like it, Lev! Normal sized man hands here, it's just pretty small, roughly 15cm x 23cm (I'll save you the inches nonsense )

And without further adu, I bring you a finished map. Thanks everyone who dropped kind words of encouragement, they were certainly a driver as I piled many hours into this to get it done over the last week. This has been a blast, good luck to all in the voting.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avori Lowlands, by Ian Ringler.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	127607

IR

PS I was using the clunkiest crop tool on Earth after I scanned this. Disregard the white line on the left side, I'll rescan it at some point. Probably at a higher DPI, I lost a lot of detail in the scan, too, alas.
    Last edited by Adfor; 01-01-2021 at 10:33 AM.

What a fun piece!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456