Thread: Port Vallerani

Map Port Vallerani

This is what I'm calling the final version of a map I started about five years ago. It was originally a city at the confluence of two rivers but I was never satisfied with the layout. Removing the southwest section of the city and widening the river opened things up and made it much better IMHO. The design is final but I'll add a legend as I flesh out individual locations.

The city itself is a trading hub of around 55,000 people on both sides of the river, inside and outside of the walls.

I want to do an area map in a similar style but my usual overland map is very Tolkien influenced and doesn't really fit. Any ideas for style are appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port Vallerani 2020.png 
Views:	290 
Size:	5.24 MB 
ID:	126602

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really neat map! It reminds me of the John Speed maps of England, particularly with how the fields and trees are depicted.

And the style you use to draw the tolkien map is what makes it unique in my opinion. Everyone draws with a different style. I admit this is not exactly what I think of when I think of high fantasy but it would still be neat to see a tolkien map rendered from it (and it would probably be one of the earliest attempts to do so. I can't remember having seen a tolkien map in this style before at least). However, if you are looking for styles, I just browsing the finished maps section would probably be the best technique. That way, you would find an interesting style that you think you could pull off and adapt.