Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec 2020 Lite Challenge: A rose by any other name

Default Nov/Dec 2020 Lite Challenge: A rose by any other name

So I figured I would go literal on this one and make a rose for my compass rose. I feel very much out of my depth looking at the current entries but I have to start somewhere. =)

##### Current WIP #####

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rose_20201125.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	126606

Completely open to suggestions or comments.

- E

Don't really worry about how you do or don't compare, even if you're really happy with a result the overall taste of the voters is biased towards a certain kind of creation in general and you cannot ever know if what you made will be that thing that they wanted to see, sometimes total newcomers win because they hit the right nerves, it's not impossible and well worth participating even if you don't win! Because that way you will have acquired a new asset for yourself! Make something for you, not because you think it does or does not compare! as you say, everyone starts somewhere. Make an asset you would like to use and be willing to share on the guild. Your prize is having something to add to your portfolio of work that you lovingly crafted, the practice of doing something out of the ordinary, and in this specific case, the joy of sharing with other artists. Don't even look at the other artworks if it makes you feel worse about yours. Your journey is your own.

I recommend putting the thorns on layer mode: multiply or darken or darkest color, to get rid of the little bit of white pixel trim on the edges, assuming that wasn't intentional on your part. If it was, make the stroke a bit stronger, because when zoomed out it looks like a layering error.
    Last edited by Tiana; 11-26-2020 at 01:37 AM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Welcome to the challenge eepjr24! Nice Rose!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    I recommend putting the thorns on layer mode: multiply or darken or darkest color, to get rid of the little bit of white pixel trim on the edges, assuming that wasn't intentional on your part. If it was, make the stroke a bit stronger, because when zoomed out it looks like a layering error.
    Oh, thanks, that helped a lot! The only thing I'd like to change is it makes the lines from the 30 degree dial show over the top of the barbs, is there a way to fix that? And should I be posting that kind of thing here or in a separate thread?

EDIT: Figured it out. I selected the barbs, created a new layer at normal under the barbs, pasted the selected and filled with white. If there is a better / easier way, fee free to add it. =)

- E
    Last edited by eepjr24; 11-26-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Cleaned up the rose, filled in the outer dial marks, cleaned up the barbs (Thanks Tiana!), minor tweaks elsewhere.

##### Current WIP #####

Name:	rose_20201126.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	447.1 KB 
ID:	126653
    Last edited by eepjr24; 11-26-2020 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Fixing image link.

Depends what program you're using. If you have program-specific questions, make a new thread. Also, don't remove your old pieces, post a new post in this thread with your update, people like to see the progress.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

I am not sure what happened to the image in my third post, it was saying invalid link. I did not remove the original, I wanted people to see the progress as well. Hopefully you can now see both?

- E

I can see it now! If you spent more than 30 minutes after uploading it before posting it, the image gets deleted, assuming it was abandoned. It's an old forum quirk.

Okay, went through 2 more barb patterns before I arrived at one I like much better. It might be too subtle, I have not decided for sure yet. Played with the colors, dropped the 30 degree band to allow the barbs to show better. Overall I think if I just end up finishing what I have got now I have improved a decent bit in a short time. GIMP is a much easier tool than my experiences with PhotoImpact years (decades?) ago.

##### Current WIP #####

Name:	rose_20201127.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	126759

Grab Inkscape. It's a free vector program. It might not be 'easy' but if you choose to make assets like this in the future I think it can be quite useful to have vector at your disposal. I like these barbs better, but I do like the degree band from the previous draft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast