Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 50 YearOld Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    I also still use Photoshop CS2, so you can definitely still do a lot without the latest, greatest tools.
    I used CS2 until I got Clip Studio Paint and fell for its stabilizer. Not that I think you need a stabilizer, but I liked it. CS2 is very useful for a mapper, but I can tell you that it's just different enough from CC 2020, which I tried on their trial, that it'll drive you nuts the further you let the gap widen from their most recent upgrade, some aspects of which are Worth It (for example it has artboards like Illustrator) and others aren't. I thought Illustrator 2020 was way better than Illustrator CS2 though, and Photoshop CC was just 'okay' whereas Illustrator's upgrades blew my mind.

3D stuff, though. If that becomes compelling, do the upgrade. CS2 was my program of choice when I first started and it is very powerful, and I know you're used to it. You'll get away with it.

More likely: I will upgrade my tablet before you do, because... I've had a history of doing that... and I will remember you, Josh. If I had known you hadn't upgraded from a Bamboo yet, you would've got a chance at my 13 inch Cintiq before I gave it to my brother, lol. It might not happen until a device that doesn't exist yet, does, though. I want a true virtual reality painting experience and I am not impressed by what's out there yet. But I shall remember this and if I upgrade, reach out.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

So what are people#s opinions on the dedicated fantasy mapping software like Campaign Cartographer ? Arethey overly stylised, akin to cheating or a good starting point ?

As an example, would it be possible to create a realsitic continent outline using one of these tools, and then export it to something like Krita and add all of the details ?
    Last edited by Rawhaed; 11-28-2020 at 05:56 AM.

Hi Rawhead, belated welcome to the forum.

There are quite a few CC3+ users in the forum, and it's certainly not 'cheating' to use this software. Although I've never personally used CC3+ I understand it has a fairly steep learning curve, so be aware of that. I'm sure you probably can generate and export land shapes, but I can't unfortunately give you advice on how to do it. There are other simpler programs that use 'ready made' assets. Inkarnate is the first one that comes to mind.

If you're not sure how to get started, I'll give you the same advice I give every new mapmaker: head for our tutorials section, pick a couple and work through them. The maps you'll make don't need to be keepers or the greatest thing ever, but you'll learn a ton from the tutorials, and you can use that knowledge to go further on your own. You may not even particularly like the style of map being created, but it's still worth trying out a tutorial, because of the general skills it will teach.

Here are some links...

Tutorials/How To section
    Tutorials in PDF format
    Tutorial for 'Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged)' - an old favourite

I should mention if you try a Gimp tutorial... Gimp has had a lot of changes over the past two or three years, and it's possible that some of the menu items might be in different places. If you decide to give it a go and can't figure out how to do something, start a thread, post your WIP and ask questions. I'm sure someone can help.

Good luck!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhaed View Post
    As an example, would it be possible to create a realsitic continent outline using one of these tools, and then export it to something like Krita and add all of the details ?
    I regularly use as part of my workflow, the fractal terrain to create a continent base in Other World Mapper, and then export as a multi-file png set and re-stack all the pieces together in Clip Studio Paint where I hand draw in my own details. I don't think it's cheating, it's being smart. Fractal terrain isn't quite the same as hand drawing. So one could say you are cheating yourself of an experience. But saving time on the other hand. I would say there's a select 20-30% of concepts I get where it's not useful to use the mapping software for some of it, where it's just not going to happen without me drawing it, and for those other more predictable pitches that consist of a landmass with roads, rivers... then it comes in useful. For something imaginative that one would have to cartoon to obtain, not so much. I never find it's good enough just in one program, because I like to do post processing effect, but what you describe is definitely similar to what I do... and I don't think it's cheating, because I can draw just fine when I need to. I'm just galaxy braining over here. Totally would work in tandem.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Hi Rawhead, belated welcome to the forum.
    Thank you

There are quite a few CC3+ users in the forum, and it's certainly not 'cheating' to use this software. Although I've never personally used CC3+ I understand it has a fairly steep learning curve, so be aware of that. I'm sure you probably can generate and export land shapes, but I can't unfortunately give you advice on how to do it. There are other simpler programs that use 'ready made' assets. Inkarnate is the first one that comes to mind.
    I'd heard CC was a bit of an art in of itself, thanks - i think i'll give it a miss, at least for now.

If you're not sure how to get started, I'll give you the same advice I give every new mapmaker: head for our tutorials section,
    Thanks, i definitely will

It's like you knew i was coming [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    I regularly use as part of my workflow, the fractal terrain to create a continent base in Other World Mapper, and then export as a multi-file png set and re-stack all the pieces together in Clip Studio Paint where I hand draw in my own details. I don't think it's cheating, it's being smart.
    That's pretty much exacty what i had in mind

I don't suppose you remember a very old piece of software called Vista do you ? It was a "random" fractal map generator - you generated a key and let it do it'sthing and it would generate a top down map. You could then add waterways, tree lines, snow lines etc You could then pic a camera position and target and take a really high res "pic" - i wasted hundred of hours playing with it

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    hello rawhead! welcome to the forums
    Thank you

I have a Wacom One medium tablet nestled under the Christmas tree

Merry Christmas!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast