Thread: First map of a yet unnamed atlas: the Kingdom of Hellion

Map First map of a yet unnamed atlas: the Kingdom of Hellion

Hello, everyone. After spending many months procastrinating a lot and not finishing anything, I finally have a product I'm proud of. I've been developing a common style for all my maps, at least those that will be part of this "atlas" I've talked about, and this is the first test. I also talk about this map on the first entry of my blog, another project I've started recently. As such, it still needs a lot of improvement, but I look forward to working on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAP-1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	126965

One thing that comes to my mind now is that I haven't specified a legend for the map. However, I wanted to craft a separate image for it and upload it in the future, as I still need to develop it fully. For now, though, it will suffice

As always, any comment and critique would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Skalimoi; 12-07-2020 at 07:22 AM.

There may be some game reason for this not being the case, but it seems like some of the roads and especially the bridges / underwater tunnels (not sure which they are) are not logical. Even in civilizations with significant resources and engineering skill will chose the shortest route across water bodies because the cost (in time, materials, etc) is so much higher than on land. Is there a reason there are no ports on the northern and eastern coasts? Even with the advent of rail travel some cargo is significantly less expensive to move over water.

On your rivers I would review them. Some of their flows don't seem to make sense, terrain wise. For example, the upper reaches of the Egone river looks like it should flow to Sideki and the sea, not inland. Also, I realize that there are reasons for rivers to flow North sometimes, but a much higher percentage of yours seem to do so than happens on Earth.

Love the colors and style / line work. The mountains are clearly distinguishable and look logical. Overall a very nice looking map.

- E
    Content available for use under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.

Quote Originally Posted by eepjr24 View Post
    There may be some game reason for this not being the case, but it seems like some of the roads and especially the bridges / underwater tunnels (not sure which they are) are not logical. Even in civilizations with significant resources and engineering skill will chose the shortest route across water bodies because the cost (in time, materials, etc) is so much higher than on land. Is there a reason there are no ports on the northern and eastern coasts? Even with the advent of rail travel some cargo is significantly less expensive to move over water.

On your rivers I would review them. Some of their flows don't seem to make sense, terrain wise. For example, the upper reaches of the Egone river looks like it should flow to Sideki and the sea, not inland. Also, I realize that there are reasons for rivers to flow North sometimes, but a much higher percentage of yours seem to do so than happens on Earth.

Love the colors and style / line work. The mountains are clearly distinguishable and look logical. Overall a very nice looking map.

- E
    Thank you so much for your feedback! Yeah, there are many things that ought to be corrected: rivers are the bane of my existence and even if I made them with Wilbur, there are many illogical flows. And about the roads, I supposed there were some problems with it, but now I know where they are: I drew the roads some years ago, when I didn't have much expertise on it! I'll try to correct all of this for the "new" version. Very valuable criticism.