Thread: Plate Tectonics Map

Map Plate Tectonics Map

This is a map of the plate tectonics of a fictional setting I'm working on.

Based on geology, where plates separate, there will be lakes, oceans, islands and volcanic mountains. Where the plates push together, there will be mountains.

The arrows show which way the plates are pushing. Knowing this creates realistic maps, instead of just throwing mountains around in random order.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

--David Lieder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orenlone Plate Tectonics Map 1500x1563.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	4.58 MB 
ID:	126746
    Last edited by David Lieder; 11-27-2020 at 08:58 PM. Reason: for fun and profit

I don't think doing plate tectonics without an entire global understanding is really a possibility. If you think of the plates as leaves on the surface of a stream they all have reason for moving in the directions the move, the stream in my example is actually the earth as it spins on it's rotational axis. The plates move with the stream which is the opposite direction to the rotation. So for instance you have that brown one in the middle spinning, given the forces of the surrounding plates I don't understand why it would do that. You have the lower people one heading in two converging directions which doesn't make sense, a plate really can have only one vector and a rotational movement unless it becomes two plates.

In any case I have to question the need for a tectonic map or understanding of your world. In my experience it doesn't seem to make much difference to realism doing the tectonics or just throwing mountains and oceans where you want 'em to be and then justifying it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    If you think of the plates as leaves on the surface of a stream they all have reason for moving in the directions the move.
    First of all, thanks a lot for your suggestions, because these are really excellent. I am going to apply all your suggestions and update this.

The plate tectonics map does help, because with my lack of hard-core geology understanding, the original map mountains were lame. The improvements to this has had to my actual map (a separate WIP) are huge.

But for someone like you that has a good understanding of mountains, erosion, etc., you could probably do it all free-style (as we say in music "by ear") and be accurate. For me, this map is a huge help and saves a lot of time in the end.

One thing I learned as a writer is that when science fiction or fantasy authors apply real science to their worlds, it helps a lot towards believability and realism, even if it is incomplete or basic science.

--David

Interesting point. Yeah it never hurts to start at the foundation to arrive at the aesthetics one seeks. I guess in the sense you imply it's a bit like art where the masters have all the foundations to a good drawing hardwired into their stuff by years of practice even if they don't necessarily visually do all the steps. Not that I would make that claim for myself in regards to maps.