Thread: City and road markings

Default City and road markings

Working on my first real map and wanted to get a standard set of markings that I won't regret as I move forward. Thinking of using the following:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	key.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	126777

Has anyone used similar and encountered problems? The C will appear inside the circles, although I am considering just using a filled in black circle for that because of scale.

If you have general advice about city and route markings or a thread on the same, please do link.

- Ernie

Annnnnd, that didn't work. =) Symbols were too close in look to distinguish at a reasonable distance. Ok, here is set #2, still feel free to chime in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	key2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	126782

- E

Why distinguish what is a port city? Wouldn't it be obvious there is a port there by it's location and size (ie being a city rather than a town) and attachment to shipping routes? Or is it a specific type of port? Anyways I think the newer port city symbol is quite noticeable, looks good. Why did you add ruins in, seems like an odd one out for this set? Not sure about the roads being dots, how do they work on the pages though is the real question. As a note, modern maps generally make major roads hollow ( ====== ) as opposed to smaller ones ( --------- ).

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Why distinguish what is a port city? Wouldn't it be obvious there is a port there by it's location and size (ie being a city rather than a town) and attachment to shipping routes? Or is it a specific type of port? Anyways I think the newer port city symbol is quite noticeable, looks good. Why did you add ruins in, seems like an odd one out for this set? Not sure about the roads being dots, how do they work on the pages though is the real question. As a note, modern maps generally make major roads hollow ( ====== ) as opposed to smaller ones ( --------- ).
    There will be coastal cities which are not ports in this particular equation due to the nature of the coast and the reefs off the coast. I mean, small local fishing boats will manage but nothing with a draft over 4-5 feet should attempt it. Add in the weather and even off shore transfer to small boat would be a challenging proposition. So I guess it is specific in that I mean it is a deep draft port?

Ruins are added because there will cities which have been abandoned in Vria (a colony in decline and slipping away from it's colonizer).

I am going to try out the dots, I may end up going with dashed lines or some other method. I want to avoid using regular lines (even hollow) because they are too easy to mistake for rivers, boundaries and other types of markers.

Thanks for the comments and questions, let me know if I need to clarify further or if you have suggestions for alternative road symbology.

- Ernie

Cool. Can't wait to see the map.