Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec 2020 Challenge: The Town of Hérisson

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I don't know this castle, but I love fortifications of all kind, and you drawn this one so beautifully ! Congratulations !

The whole compostions is just perfect ! you made such a good job, it's amazing !

Bout the french, some accent are missing, but nothing really important :

"Château d'Hérisson"

Now I can't wait for shading and colors, as Ilanthar said : it's gonna be sooooo greaat !
    Every ruin sparks a lot of imagination Thanks for correcting my french It is such a beautiful language but I never got the hang of it in school..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Moureau View Post
    This is absolutely gorgeous.

Your line art and composition are exemplary, with that perspective that leads us to the village.

What else to say ? Oh... Yes. This reminds me of an interesting drinking song about hedgehogs that I probably should not share right now...
    Thank you! That means a lot coming from you

And now I want to learn that song.. Please..?

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine.L View Post
    The map turns awesome, even more with shadows as I see it on IG.
    I can't wait to see it colored!

The French is correct, just the two accents JO noticed in "Château d'Hérisson".
    Well, here is my coloring attempt. Color never comes naturally and I have to think really hard to make it work. I chose a limited palette and shaded with different overlay layers. I’m still trying to get the right contrasts. Especially the background vs foreground. I’m working on that. Any tips are welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57F1D150-A261-496C-90CA-CD140C8ED773.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	127337

Name:	62A2F80D-3639-4FF7-A222-8B67B6FDBA26.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	4.70 MB 
ID:	127338

edit: extra progress image
    Last edited by Dimension Door; 12-23-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

very nice colour palette! It fits perfectly with the atmosphere of the map.
    For the shading, there is a good contrast between the foreground and the background, but maybe a more marked light effect on the areas supposed to receive light would bring out the foreground better?
    Basically, I would say more contrast in the foreground.
    And then there's a good idea on your part: the reflection of light from the windows on the floor of the street. I think it's excellent, but the effect it gives is that the foreground is in the night or in the dark, and it's the light from inside the houses that can be seen in the street floor? In any case that's how I feel.
    Maybe by "illuminating" more the windows themselves, it would justify having a reflection of these windows on the street floor? I'm not sure what to do, what I see is that it's a good idea, but the result troubles me.
    I'm sorry if I'm not very clear...
    Anyway, be sure that your map is really a beautiful piece of art ! A real christmas present !!! Thanks for that !

I hereby submit my finished map of Hérisson. It was a truly remarkable journey. Diving into the composition, perspective, color, lines and shading was great to explore. I hereby thank Antoine for giving me this opportunity and for the guild for making this possible.

A bit about the map:

This is the town of Hérisson. It has a rich history with it’s castle and the dukes that reigned here. The dukes are represented by the dukes crown hanging on the side of the shield on the right border of the map. It’s not on top anymore because there is no duke in Hérisson. The three fleur de lis come from the Sire de Bourbon who ruled here. And the hedgehog is the symbol for the town itself. The map on the left is the actual map of the town. The houses in the town, I have to admit, are not all prefect as they are now. I took some liberties for esthetics sake.. So.. I found my weakness.. The road on the bottom side is the road where Antoine lives across the river Aumance.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	2374902A-FBCE-449C-90B8-13EAC026A0CB.jpeg 
Views:	120 
Size:	4.61 MB 
ID:	127354

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

You did an amazing job !
    The coors are just perfect, as the shadows ! Congratulations, it's really a wonderful map, with it's very special perspective !
    (And Antoine is lucky to live in such a beautiful place !)

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door View Post
    I hereby submit my finished map of Hérisson. It was a truly remarkable journey. Diving into the composition, perspective, color, lines and shading was great to explore. I hereby thank Antoine for giving me this opportunity and for the guild for making this possible.

A bit about the map:

This is the town of Hérisson. It has a rich history with it’s castle and the dukes that reigned here. The dukes are represented by the dukes crown hanging on the side of the shield on the right border of the map. It’s not on top anymore because there is no duke in Hérisson. The three fleur de lis come from the Sire de Bourbon who ruled here. And the hedgehog is the symbol for the town itself. The map on the left is the actual map of the town. The houses in the town, I have to admit, are not all prefect as they are now. I took some liberties for esthetics sake.. So.. I found my weakness.. The road on the bottom side is the road where Antoine lives across the river Aumance.
    Well Thank you for the fantastic job you did on this! The map looks awesome, everything feet well together, lines, shades and colors.
    Some houses are diferent indeed, but in a good way to makes the map feel a bit more medieval. And the 3 perspectives are bold, fun, and great looking!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    (And Antoine is lucky to live in such a beautiful place !)
    I have to admit this town is very nice to live in and has its own spirit.

Gorgeous map!
    I love the multiples parts and those banners!!!!
    Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door
    And now I want to learn that song.. Please..?
    I'd really like to teach you, but I'd rather let you discover it by yourself through the books of Sir Terry Pratchett, though most of this song remains a mystery.

Nice progress by the way, these soft, warm colors work wonders !
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

A unique triple vision of map making in one piece. Very inspiring

Honestly DD, this blows me away. I put this on the MistyBeee level of good. Incredible work.

IR

Wonderful, love the multiple perspectives!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast