Thread: Watercolor city map of Mors Inriguum

Map Watercolor city map of Mors Inriguum

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and this is my first proper post, hopefully, I'm posting in the right place

Today I'd like to share with you one of my first map commissions, a hand-drawn watercolor map of a fantasy city of Mors Inriguum. The layout and style were inspired by ancient Rome.

It was really exciting to create this map, it was one of my first city maps and brought a wave of memories of how I loved playing Ceasar III on my computer as a kid. I just loved building cities there and making them beautiful and prosperous, just paying off all the invaders so they don't interrupt my city building, haha. Someone here can relate maybe?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8145-Edit.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	127940

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Welcome to the guild! Really nice map. I like how the different districts are differentiated by different colors.
    One question though, what is the blue line? Is it like an aqueduct or is a river? A river does not quite make sense to me which is why I ask!
    All the same, great map!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Is it like an aqueduct or is a river? A river does not quite make sense to me which is why I ask!
    Thank you Yes, it is an aqueduct that leads into the rich district of patricians, to the bathhouses, and into the palace.

I like the way you use color rather than the traditional line to define features. A unique and interesting take on the traditional!

Quote Originally Posted by AriochIV View Post
    I like the way you use color rather than the traditional line to define features. A unique and interesting take on the traditional!
    Thank you! Wait to see my maps in black and white, it's a lot more challenging do keep this definition, but I'm experimenting to keep the style.

Guild Member Guild Supporter

I can relate - I get so excited when I see a new settlement or city builder game announced, right up to the point where they go into great, excitable, detail about how much war and fighting will be involved. Just let me build, people!

The line-less colors really are striking. Is the light green an indication of different zone, or something else? I assumed (perhaps I shouldn't) that the brown buildings were lower economic zones, and the red (tiles?) were the upper.

Welcome, and you are definitely in the right place! I really like how you differentiated plebian buildings with variations in color.

Quote Originally Posted by Bioluminescence View Post
    The line-less colors really are striking. Is the light green an indication of different zone, or something else? I assumed (perhaps I shouldn't) that the brown buildings were lower economic zones, and the red (tiles?) were the upper.
    The light green inside the city is meant to indicate the green garden territories around wealthier houses. And yes, the brown roofed houses are meant to be cheaper housing. Red is sort of stone buildings with fancy red tiles, and brown is wooden shacks or houses with cheaper tiles.