Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grymmworld [commssion]

Map Grymmworld [commssion]

This map was created for 2C Gaming's new setting, Grymmworld, which is available over on kickstarter.
    It's based on Grant Ellis' writing, and brought to tabletop by 2C Gaming, who I've always enjoyed working with in the past. Those were usually city maps, like Nexus.

It's always fun and challenging to convey lots of different terrains. I hope you enjoy it.
    And as always, help support independent game makers who in turn support independent map makers and illustrators.
    We're all part of a healthy ecosystem.

Here's the kickstarter link - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...by-grant-ellis

I've been trying to post to reddit, as it was suggested to me by a number of people, but it is a difficult site to get any traction on.
    It's so hit or miss. https://www.reddit.com/r/mapmaking/c...ai/grymmworld/
    I suspect i am posting too late in the morning, or some other ridiculous algorithmic detail. meh.
    Any ways... here's the map ;P

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grymmworld by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	128134

Astonishing, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkin View Post
    Astonishing, as always.
    Thanks Simkin

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

What a beautiful map !!!!

I'm not entirely convinced by the coastline... an island that is not very indented, but it's very secondary.

The amount of detail on this map is simply breathtaking!

The towns, villages, geographical and fairy-tale details, everything is so incredible! And so rich in history!

The sinking city, the palacio, the night theatre... all this, not only mentioned, but drawn ! ! What a job !!!

And that brings me to a question: is there a distortion of scale? A difference in scale between the "empty" parts and the towns and villages, where every house is drawn?
    It doesn't bother me at all, because I prefer to see the details of a city rather than a symbol or an insert with a map of the city, and it's ok for me if the scale is not respected.

Ah! I also love colours!

And I also love the title, the way it's drawn and how it fits in!

Really beautiful work! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    What a beautiful map !!!!

I'm not entirely convinced by the coastline... an island that is not very indented, but it's very secondary.

The amount of detail on this map is simply breathtaking!

The towns, villages, geographical and fairy-tale details, everything is so incredible! And so rich in history!

The sinking city, the palacio, the night theatre... all this, not only mentioned, but drawn ! ! What a job !!!

And that brings me to a question: is there a distortion of scale? A difference in scale between the "empty" parts and the towns and villages, where every house is drawn?
    It doesn't bother me at all, because I prefer to see the details of a city rather than a symbol or an insert with a map of the city, and it's ok for me if the scale is not respected.

Ah! I also love colours!

And I also love the title, the way it's drawn and how it fits in!

Really beautiful work! Thank you for sharing it with us!
    Thanks Joel
    This was definitely an unusual map. I was given a mostly formed coastline. I would not do this on my own. I tried to give it more organic edges, but it is what it is.
    That's the nature of freelance work sometimes.

Yeah, the scale is all wonky. It's due to the nature of this map request. They asked for a world map, but then asked me to show all of these features that would not show on a world map, but also some features are supposed to be gigantic in size.
    Needless to say that was frustrating, and I knew it was going to cause problems for the viewer to really understand the scale of things. In the end, I had to just go with it and just let go of my usual logical requirements. And all that with a request for a top down map. I would normally have done this one, with the weird subject matter requests, as a perspective map. It would have been far easier to convey the weird sizes and such. Top down doesn't really lend itself to exaggeration.

Evenso, it was a good learning experience and a good way to figure out how to do a color style for a Nahadua type map.
    There are lots of interesting things I achieved in this one that will be useful for many other maps.

Wow, the closer you look, the more detail reveals itself lol.

Stunning job, looks like a huge amount of work.

Oh man, that is just a crazy amount of detail! What a beautiful map. I especially like how you did all of the hedgerows in Catchoeira. The deserts and mountain formations are really impressive as well. So much awesome rolled up into one map!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Uhhhh..... (Just stares and sort of has a Beavis and Butthead moment). Uhhh....

Seriously though, just wow. Don't recall ever seeing you do that style of relief shading before. Of course, you have so many pieces floating around here that I could oh so easily have missed one (eh, probably several) done in a similar fashion.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Yeah, the scale is all wonky. It's due to the nature of this map request. They asked for a world map, but then asked me to show all of these features that would not show on a world map, but also some features are supposed to be gigantic in size.
    I think the weird scaling is pretty interesting, but i did definitely not take it as a world map. I took it as a large island based on the fact you can see all the buildings in the cities and towns (which of course doesn't really jive with the mountain sizes).

In any case it's a very interesting map.

For what it's worth, in response to the idea that some features are of distorted scale, I think you threaded the needle nicely. There are a few things that are obviously outsized, but like, that's not unheard of on maps this size and none of them are distracting. As Simkin said, astonishing as always.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast