Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grymmworld [commssion]

Regardless of wonky scale, it's truly inspiring. So many cool points of interest to ruminate on, I think you rather hit the nail on the head, John.

IR

Quote Originally Posted by TimetoDraw View Post
    Wow, the closer you look, the more detail reveals itself lol.

Stunning job, looks like a huge amount of work.
    Thanks TtD It was a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Oh man, that is just a crazy amount of detail! What a beautiful map. I especially like how you did all of the hedgerows in Catchoeira. The deserts and mountain formations are really impressive as well. So much awesome rolled up into one map!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh
    I like the result with the hedges, but man were they a lot more work than planned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Uhhhh..... (Just stares and sort of has a Beavis and Butthead moment). Uhhh....

Seriously though, just wow. Don't recall ever seeing you do that style of relief shading before. Of course, you have so many pieces floating around here that I could oh so easily have missed one (eh, probably several) done in a similar fashion.
    I have done a few that were top down relief shading. The main one was my guildworld country of Nahadua, but the lands of Qaliste was another, sort of. Then I have one I need to post some time. I actually have a few I haven't posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I think the weird scaling is pretty interesting, but i did definitely not take it as a world map. I took it as a large island based on the fact you can see all the buildings in the cities and towns (which of course doesn't really jive with the mountain sizes).

In any case it's a very interesting map.
    Yeah, it bothered me as well, but I just couldn't think of any other way to bring the scale differences together.
    The comm really asked for incongruent things.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    For what it's worth, in response to the idea that some features are of distorted scale, I think you threaded the needle nicely. There are a few things that are obviously outsized, but like, that's not unheard of on maps this size and none of them are distracting. As Simkin said, astonishing as always.
    Thanks GWN
    It was achallenge, and I need to get better at dealing with these size inconsistencies, because numerous clients have asked for things like that before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Regardless of wonky scale, it's truly inspiring. So many cool points of interest to ruminate on, I think you rather hit the nail on the head, John.

IR
    Thanks Adfor
    I'm glad it is working for people.
    I really wasn't sure if it would.

That is really interesting take on the scale. However, I know that there is only so much you can do when you got that weird request from a client.
    I think you pulled it off quite nicely. The only thing that threw me off is Labirinto. It stretches from west to the middle of the continent. Enormous The fields also takes large portion of the map, but it does not as strange as Labirinto.

All in all, that is another great map from you.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    That is really interesting take on the scale. However, I know that there is only so much you can do when you got that weird request from a client.
    I think you pulled it off quite nicely. The only thing that threw me off is Labirinto. It stretches from west to the middle of the continent. Enormous The fields also takes large portion of the map, but it does not as strange as Labirinto.

All in all, that is another great map from you.
    Labirinto was really a strange one. It's supposed to be this super large clockwork metropolis thing that really does stretch over that whole region.
    This map really was a challenge to work through, on several levels.
    Reading the description I was given, I knew it was going to be difficult from the beginning.

It has it's charm, and art-wise, it's a killer.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

This is a splendid map.
    I like all the small details you added, like the shadows of the landmarks.
    All the different terrains are perfectly rendered, but I'm particularly impressed by the bog. The shape of the rivers and wet areas looks so smooth and natural, it's gorgeous !
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

No.
    Just no, G.
    That's not fair at all you're able to draw this total crazyness and just say "meh, this was a lil' fun one".

G. your are. G. you stay !!

That an amazing job you have done! Fantastic! Especially green fields around Cornucopia, mesmerizing

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    It has it's charm, and art-wise, it's a killer.
    Thanks Voolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Moureau View Post
    This is a splendid map.
    I like all the small details you added, like the shadows of the landmarks.
    All the different terrains are perfectly rendered, but I'm particularly impressed by the bog. The shape of the rivers and wet areas looks so smooth and natural, it's gorgeous !
    Thanks Marc
    I spent a lot of time on the bog. It's a terrain I am somewhat less familiar with so I had to do more research.
    The specs of the project called for only the one main river outlet for the entire bog into the sea, which is so against my instinct, and nature itself, generally.
    That really altered how I would do the whole thing as it drastically changed the flow and where the water would settle and move.
    I need to do more bogs, swamps, heaths, and moors. They're good areas for adventures.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    No.
    Just no, G.
    That's not fair at all you're able to draw this total crazyness and just say "meh, this was a lil' fun one".

G. your are. G. you stay !!
    hehe, well, if so, I am in good company. ;P
    This Guild is full of so much talent, skill, and imagination.
    I'm just one part, you know.

Do you ever do a map and then look at it and think... what would it be if I had done it another style?
    Like,, this one, I asked two or three times, just to be sure, that they wanted it straight top down. And they did, knowing what that meant. [Though not REALLY knowing what that meant to map it.]
    Many aspects of this would have been easier in iso or perspective, oddly enough [as iso can sometimes be the harder choice]. It would have been a very different map.
    And I may not have learned as much either.
    Quote Originally Posted by vb.maps View Post
    That an amazing job you have done! Fantastic! Especially green fields around Cornucopia, mesmerizing
    Thanks VB
    I love doing fields. I'm surrounded by fields where I live atm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12