Thread: Simple Intro

Post Simple Intro

Hello there,

I have limited experience with cartography, I've made a few conceptual interactive maps using ArcGIS/ESRI (with help from my mother who uses the programs for her work). And a few years back I started to implement maps into my art practice, which was pretty neat. I even went to an ESRI User conference where I attended an awesome talk where two guys showed all these amazing and artistic ways to create a map. Never thought I could feel so jacked about maps, but that talk got me stoked, lol.

However, I'm currently interested in using GIMP (or any other free program) to create a fictional map for a book I'm currently working on. So I figured this is the place to be.

Cheers,
    Lavia

Hi Lavia, and welcome! You've found the right place for working on artistic maps.

Have a browse around the various areas of the forum. We've got a Finished Maps section for ... well ... maps that are completely finished! We've also got an area for work-in-progress maps of various styles.

Many people use Gimp, though quite a number have moved on to Krita, as the drawing tools are reckoned to be superior. Might be worth a look, as it's free too.

Feel free to dive in and comment on any maps you like, or start a thread and show what you're working on. If you need help, just ask.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Welcome to the Guild Lavia! Map making is certainly addictive, and there's a ton of very talented people around here who are more than happy to share their knowledge. I'm glad you decided to join the community, and I look forward to seeing you around!

Happy Mapping!
    - Josh