Thread: World map loosely based on Earth.

Default World map loosely based on Earth.

This map is made using the opensource Minetest game engine. Minetest is an opensource Minecraft like open world voxel environment.

These maps are a 1:10 scale of the actual world size in Minetest. Minetest provides for worlds up ~62km in all three axis.

Using the lua script engine found in Minetest, I've created a recursive voronoi based map, defining continents, oceans, and rudimentary terrain features. Perlin noise is then applied to the terrain to provide a more natural feel, instead of straight voronoi cells. Terrain height is determined simply by calculating distance from the various voronoi cell layers. There are three in use, each meant to resemble the following, continents, cratons, and local terrain.

Also found are towns and entrances to underground "dungeons".

Minetest allows all this to be fully explorable in a voxelated 3d world.

I am looking for an efficient river generating algorithm in lua. I would like some input as to plant, soil, and rock distributions, so as to more accurately mimic the real world. The goal is to make an education friendly world that can be explored and in which to create simple real world simulations, as well as, provide a game environment.

brb, posted from wrong pc.

Shad

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I believe that you have not attached the image to the post (at least I don't see an image, just the description). If you go under the advanced options in the edit post section there is a way to attach the image.